Cornmeal-Oat-Quinoa Pancakes with Dried Cherries

cornmeal quinoa pancakes

Years ago when I worked in a bookstore the Dummies series of how-to books were everywhere to be found on almost every subject available. I had quite forgotten about them until I was recently sent a review copy of Cooking with Quinoa For Dummies, which goes to show that the supply of how-to subjects is not yet exhausted.

Now having been acquainted with this wonderful food for years, I am not, nor are many or most of my readers, "quinoa dummies" by any stretch. But it was not too many years ago when quinoa was only readily available at specialty food stores, but with a relatively recent surge in popularity of this "superfood", quinoa — including various types of the whole grain, flour and flakes — is now easily found at most grocery stores. I found this book could be much more than a comprehensive introduction for people who are new to quinoa. Written by Cheryl Forberg, who acts as the nutritionist for the show "The Biggest Loser", it's also a thorough guide to all the types and forms of quinoa, the benefits of eating quinoa, and a great variety of the many uses and methods for cooking quinoa. Ideas for appetizers and snacks, breakfast and brunch, salads, soups, mains and desserts and even beverages await the cook. There's plenty to learn from this book, even for us quinoa veterans.

Of the over 140 recipes included in this collection, the one that struck my fancy first was for gluten-free cornmeal pancakes with oat flour and quinoa flakes. During the winter I'm always on the lookout for pancake ideas, and the leftovers from a big Sunday morning pancake cook-up session make great homemade on-the-go breakfasts for my early rising husband and myself for that matter. And this one is just in time for Pancake Tuesday. I've adapted the recipe slightly, but the essentials of cornmeal, oat flour and quinoa flakes remain the same, and make for wonderful chewy-textured pancakes with a delightful nutty taste. Guilt-free too, with no added sugar but just the natural sweetness of the grains. I'll be making these again, and I hope you try them too.

Note: I received a copy for review, but the opinions expressed here and the adaptation of the recipe are my own.

Cornmeal-Oat-Quinoa Pancakes with Dried CherriesCornmeal-Oat-Quinoa Pancakes with Dried Cherries
Recipe by
Adapted from Cooking with Quinoa For Dummies
Published on February 11, 2013

Wholesome, nutty and chewy gluten-free pancakes made with dried cherries, cornmeal, oats and quinoa

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Dry ingredients:
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup oat flour*
  • 1/3 cup quinoa flakes*
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Other ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup plain whole fat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
  • Notes: (1) you can make your own oat flour by processing rolled oats in a blender or food processor until powdered; or substitute quinoa flour instead (2) if quinoa flakes are unavailable, substitute rolled oats.
Instructions:
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

  • In another bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, melted butter, vanilla and egg yolks. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the milk and yogurt mixture.

  • Pour the milk, yogurt and egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

  • Fold the dried cherries into the batter 20 or 30 minutes before cooking. Butter or grease a non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. When hot, ladle 1/4 cup portions of the batter on to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the edges are turned up from the pan and the tops are almost firm. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds or until both sides are golden brown.

  • Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a preheated 200° oven while the remaining pancakes are prepared.

  • Serve hot or warm with warmed maple syrup and a pat of butter. Wrap leftovers in aluminum foil and reheat in a 300° oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes 14 four-inch pancakes
quinoa pancakes with dried cherries

Other breakfast and brunch ideas with cherries you will enjoy from my vegetarian kitchen:
Cherry Cornmeal Scones
Dried Cherry Scones
Cherry Ricotta Crêpes
Baked Cherry-Stuffed French Toast with Cherry-Orange Sauce

11 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

Looks delicious, Lisa, and I like your use of dried cherries. Quinoa is my favourite (pseudo)grain and my newest way to eat is in a chocolate quinoa pudding. :-)

My World My Home said...

Looks so yummy...:-)

lisasenn said...

Lisa @LSenn1@sc.rr.com....I have never tasted anything with quinoa that I didn't like. It is nutty and has such a great texture. I purchased the flour, but haven't used it yet, this will be the perfect recipe to try it with.

buhryn said...

These sound very appealing! We usually have cooked quinoa in the fridge. We like to top our salads with it.

Anonymous said...

I want to try these! I am newer to cooking with quinoa but my favourite so far is in a salad with black beans and veggies.

Jessica said...

i am just about to make quinoa with roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I must admit to not having cooked quinoa other than in a salad or as a side dish. Lately I have seen recipes baking it into cakes and muffins...so pancakes would also be pretty special.

Denny said...

Love quinoa...it is truly versatile.
The pancakes look great. My favorite way is to make quinoa dosa: http://www.ohtastensee.com/2011/04/22/quinoa-dosa/ and the lemon quinoa with garbanzos: http://www.ohtastensee.com/2013/02/07/lemon-quinoa-with-black-garbanzo-beans/

moonsword said...

I've had quinoa burgers and they were superdelicious! I'd love to learn more about cooking with it. Thank you!

Rachel said...

I adore quinoa and right now my favorite use (besides as a grain accompaniment) is for breakfast yogurt parfaits! I mix some cooked quinoa with yogurt, flax or chia seeds, cranberries, and a bit of cinnamon and allspice. Absolutely delicious!

Unknown said...

Our favorite Quinoa recipe is a salad with fluffy steamed quinoa, black beans (marinated in red wine vinegar), corn, red pepper, cilantro, and a dressing of lime juice, olive oil, cumin and a dash of salt.