Tibetan Campa with Fresh Roasted Kamut Flour

Tibetan Campa with Fresh Roasted Kamut Flour

These simple little unbaked savory black tea and flour balls from Tibet make a wonderful simple side with any variety of vegetable dishes or with a zesty salsa or chili. I am thinking that these would be lovely baked in the oven for a short while, and they were even better after a chill in the refrigerator.


Tibetan Campa with Fresh Roasted Kamut FlourTibetan Campa with Fresh Roasted Kamut Flour
Recipe by
Cuisine: Tibetan
Published on June 4, 2010

Simple savory no-bake Tibetan black tea and flour balls — great for serving with vegetable dishes or with a salsa or chutney

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Flour:
  • 1 cup of kamut or wheat berries
Other ingredients:
  • fresh brewed black tea
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • ghee or oil as needed
Instructions:
  • Rinse the kamut or wheat berries and soak in water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse, then let dry in a strainer, tossing occasionally.

  • When the kamut or wheat berries are dry, roast in a dry unoiled pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the berries darken a few shades, stirring occasionally. Be sure not to overcook.

  • Let the berries cool to room temperature and then grind to your desired consistency in a coffee grinder.

  • Combine the flour with a teaspoon or so of black tea, salt and ghee or oil. You will want a firm dough, so gradually add the tea and oil. Roll into 1-inch balls and serve with your favorite vegetable dish or or with a spicy salsa or chutney, or refrigerate before serving.

Makes about 1 dozen balls

Tibetan Campa with Fresh Roasted Kamut Flour

8 comments:

Unknown said...

They sure look lovely Lisa :)

I too have never tried Tibetan food, so may be it is next for me :)

MapMaster said...

Tibetan food is certainly something I've never come across before. These seem very earthy and healthy.

AJ said...

These look interesting!! Tibetan food is a big draw here - we have a few excellent restaurants.

eatme_delicious said...

Wow I've never seen anything like this!! Very intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I order kamut flour from myfreshharvestfoods.com and I just can't wait to try your recipe.

Thank you very much, because after viewing the White House organic garden I decided to go organic.If you are on a budget check out myfreshharvestfoods.com it is stressless.

zlamushka said...

Hi Lisa,

Campa looks fantastic, I hope you liked it and it wasnt too "weird" :-) thank you so much in participating, I am humbled :-)

haremgypsy said...

Just tried this now, I stuck to the recipe exactly and this quantity made 7. I am going to put them in the fridge till this evening and have them alongside a curry. I was wondering if it is safe to eat the Kamut as the roasting time on the pan was only 5 minutes. Would this be okay? It seems such a short time to cook them although I did soak them overnight first. Looking forward to having them :-)

Lisa Turner said...

Yes, surely safe to eat as you soaked them overnight. I forgot about this recipe! Thanks for reminding me of it. Hope you enjoy.