Ricotta Crumpets

Ricotta Crumpets

Ricotta cheese is a staple in my kitchen, so making moist delicious ricotta crumpets to serve for dinner with a fresh vegetable salad is an easy decision. Jams and fruit sauces might be a more traditional topping for crumpets, but looking for a sweet and spicy twist, I topped mine with some jalapeño and apricot cheese spread. The possibilities for toppings are as endless as the imagination of the cook and they would be enjoyable for breakfast or brunch as well as dinner.

Ricotta Crumpets

Ricotta CrumpetsRicotta Crumpets
Recipe by
Published on April 24, 2009

Quick and easy, creamy and comforting crumpets made with ricotta cheese — great for breakfast or snacks with your favorite toppings

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unbleached white flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
Instructions:
  • In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and yogurt. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Now stir in the ricotta cheese.

  • Heat a few teaspoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, drop 1/4 cup portions of the batter into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another few minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.

Makes 8 crumpets

Ricotta Crumpets

Related:
Cherry Ricotta Crêpes
Baked Strawberry Ricotta French Toast
Jalapeño Spoon Bread

21 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

This looks yummy!

Indhu said...

yummy crumpets... can be had for breakfast or for a quick snack or dinner :)

Unknown said...

ooh looks yum, perfect for sunday breakfast mmm nice brown color

Chutneytales said...

Crumpets look so YUMMM..i feel like grabbing them from the screen..

test it comm said...

Making your own crumpets sounds like fun. I like the sound of the ricotta in them.

eatme_delicious said...

These look delicious Lisa! I'll be making them.

Marta said...

Ricotta makes everything so nice and tender, while lending a perfect tang. These crumpets must make the yummiest breakfast! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

ARUNA said...

yummy crumpets.......nice clicks!!!

zlamushka said...

Hey Lisa,

Just posted my creations from your kitchen :-)

sooishi said...

They look just perfect!

Astra Libris said...

I love crumpets, and I've never made them at home!! Thank you so much for the beautiful recipe that reminds me I must try fixing crumpets right away - using your gorgeous method!

A_and_N said...

the crumpets look good Lisa but I must say that i am more intrigued by the apricot-jalapeno spread! i have never heard of that combination before :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I just have to try these ricotta crumpets, a twist on the staple in our home. They sound delicious:D

frances said...

Hi Lisa - these sound just gorgeous - thanks for the recipe. I have just tried a sweetish version of them, in mini muffin trays, and hope to post about them soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Cheese in my crumpets? I'm tempted by this idea. Have bookmarked this one, Lisa.

command economy said...

Topped with lemon and manuka these were a great Sunday breakfast.

Annie said...

These tasted great but were nothing like crumpets... more like pancakes with a slight crumpet consistency.

Wendy said...

We ate these for breakfast with maple syrup - they were delicious.

rhid said...

How was the texture? I found that when I made mine they weren't as spongy as I like them. How did you find the ricotta? What did it add to the texture/flavor? Did the crumpets have as many holes as you'd like?
I'm looking for the ultimate crumpet recipe as I adore them!

Thanks!

Rhi

Lisa Turner said...

Hi Rhid;

They didn't have as many holes as I might have liked but they were lighter than a pancake. The ricotta added a nice cheesy flavour but was not overwhelming. I am going to keep experimenting as this was the first crumpet recipe I have tried. At any rate, these WERE very good!

Liz Tarquin said...

I've just started following your blog and love it. I made some ricotta the other day, and decided to try your recipe. I added some fresh corn off the cob and served it with honey and more ricotta - yummy. Tonite I'm experimenting with chickpea flour (besan) instead of regular flour. Fingers crossed!

-Expat in New Zealand