Parmesan Potato Puff

Parmesan Potato Puff

Normally when I pay a visit to my Dad, I end up spending several hours in the kitchen cooking up special meals. Despite the torrents of rain that kept me inside, I just didn't feel like fussing around much this past weekend as I have been out of the habit of cooking up more elaborate meals these days. Summer time calls for easier preparations for nourishment. Not wanting to miss the opportunity to cook in my Dad's fine kitchen, nor desiring to leave all the dinner preparations up to him, I did decide to whip up a simple potato dish to accompany one of our meals — light and fluffy whipped potatoes baked with Parmesan cheese for a brown and crispy exterior.

For dessert, dumplings in blueberry syrup.

Parmesan Potato PuffParmesan Potato Puff
Recipe by
Published on August 16, 2008

Light and fluffy whipped potatoes baked with Parmesan cheese

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs (900 g) white or yellow potatoes, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions:
  • Boil the potatoes until tender — about 20 minutes. Drain well and mash. Season with salt and pepper, add the butter and milk, and whip until the potatoes are light and fluffy.

  • Preheat an oven to 350° and grease or butter a small casserole dish.

  • Beat the egg yolks well. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Stir the spices and Parmesan cheese into the mashed potatoes. Now beat in the egg yolks. Fold in the egg whites. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned.

Makes 4 servings

6 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmm, lovely comfort food. Graham would think all his birthdays had come at once, if I made him this!

Kumudha said...

So many great vegan recipes in this blog.

Thanks for sharing so many recipes!

Arundathi said...

that sounds lovely. thanks. it'll be great for my weekend brunch!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Anything with potato in the name would have me rushing to the table:D

Laura Paterson said...

I reckon this would be the best hang-over cure comfort food ever!!!

workouteatin said...

This literally just came out of the oven and I can honestly say it is my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes! I made it in a pie plate and it gave perfectly browned and crisp edges. I also sprinkled a little extra parmesan on top before cooking. Thanks for the great recipe!