Mor Kali (Savory Fried Rice Flour and Buttermilk Porridge)


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Mor Kali (Savory Rice Flour and Buttermilk Porridge)

No, this is not a photo of a plate of mashed potatoes, although the texture of the dish is quite similar to fried mashed potatoes. What you are seeing is my attempt to make a popular south Indian savory breakfast porridge called "Mor Kali". Usually a kadai is used to cook this dish, but I used a wok, which is similarly shaped. I didn't manage to produce the thick brown crust I was hoping for, but the result was a fragrant treat that I enjoyed for dinner with a bowl of yellow split pea soup.


Mor Kali (Savory Fried Rice Flour and Buttermilk Porridge)Mor Kali (Savory Fried Rice Flour and Buttermilk Porridge)
Recipe by >
Cuisine: Indian
Published on July 22, 2008

A classic south Indian savory breakfast porridge made with rice flour and buttermilk — equally delicious as a "mashed potato" style dinner side

Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups rice flour
  • 2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon kalonji (nigella or black onion) seeds
  • 1 tablespoon skinned urad dal, rinsed
  • generous pinch of asafetida
  • 2 to 3 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
  • small handful of fresh or dried curry leaves
  • 3 dried whole red chilies
Instructions:
  • Mix the rice flour and buttermilk or yogurt together. Pour in enough water to make a batter that is a bit thinner than a pancake batter.

  • Heat a few teaspoons of ghee or oil in a large wok over medium heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, kalonji seeds and urad dal, and stir for a few minutes. Now add the asafetida, green chilies and curry leaves and cook for another minute or so. Add the dried red chilies to the pan, stir for another few minutes and then pour in the batter.

  • Stir the mixture continuously until it thickens. Cover and cook for another few minutes until a golden crust forms on the bottom.

  • Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings

Mor Kali (Savory Rice Flour and Buttermilk Porridge)

11 comments:

Usha said...

Hi Lisa this looks yummy,I make a variation of this dish using cream of wheat that tastes good too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

So wonderful to see your successful attempt at Mor Kali! Thank you for the kind mention..:)It's such a boost to know that I've inspired you in my own small way.

I like your idea of adding Kalonji to the tempering; will be sure to give that a try next time.

Thanks for stopping by the Pasta Puttanesca and Veg. Puffs posts as well! Do give the Veg. Puffs a try , and let me know what you think!

Lucy said...

Ah. This might be a breakfast just right for me...chillies and all. Actually prefer savoury over sweet in the morning. Lovely.

Sangeeth said...

wow Lisa you remind me of my moms mor kali...she used to do this whenever I get hungry suddenly...this such a lovely entry..this dish is very close to my heart...thanks for trying this out and sending it t o eat healthy :)

TBC said...

I've never made or tasted this before, Lisa....I'm just so impressed by the fact that u made something so very South Indian! :D

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something I'd just love. I'm always looking for new breakfast ideas--must try this one!

Red Chillies said...

This looks wonderful, Lisa. I had read about this on another blog and had been meaning to try this. Now that you have made this, you inspire me to try it.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your Mor Kali has turned out well, I think.
Perhaps if you turn down the heat at the end, and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes, the "bottom" would turn out crisp.

Laavanya said...

That looks lovely Lisa.. the golden crust on the bottom is the yummiest part.

Neen said...

It definitely looks like mashed potatoes; glancing through your ingredients it's hard to believe that it's based on rice flour instead! Lacking rice flour, I may be inspired to try this spice combination and fry up some mashed potatoes instead. Sacrilege, I know, but sure looks good!

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks quite interesting. I don't have rice flour but perhaps I could use something else (or buy some rice flour)...