Indian-Style Coleslaw


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Indian Coleslaw

Although I enjoy cabbage, I do find that one head is often more than I really need for my immediate menu plans unless I want to serve cabbage for an entire week or longer — and usually that's not the case, as I desire a wide variety of foods. Thankfully, cabbage keeps well, so it's not often that it goes to waste. I can't always say the same for the head that rests upon my shoulders.

This refreshing salad addressed just that problem after I had over half a head left after making a mixed vegetable and avocado salad with almond herbed flatbreads. It so happened that I was serving an Indian-themed meal not too long after and wanted an additional vegetable component. My cabbage was still crisp and inviting. Perhaps not exactly what you might think of when the subject of coleslaw comes up, this Indian influenced preparation features plenty of crisp vegetables and a creamy yogurt dressing with some complimentary heat and tang. This twist on an old classic didn't last long enough for me to tire of. Not at all.

Indian-style Coleslaw with yogurt dressing

For a pleasantly thick and creamy dressing, use full fat Greek yogurt. You'll find that it adds richness and zesty vibrancy to the earthy and sweet vegetables.

Indian-Style ColeslawIndian-Style Coleslaw
Recipe by
Cuisine: Indian
Published on May 2, 2014

Fresh, colorful and crunchy "grown up" coleslaw loaded with a variety of vegetables and tossed with a zesty and tangy Indian spiced yogurt dressing

Preparation: 25 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Dressing:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • juice from 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
  • 2 fresh green chilies, seeded and minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
  • 1 teaspoon chat masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • a few sprinkles of dried red chili flakes
  • 2/3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
  • sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Salad:
  • 2 cups red cabbage, shredded or cut into fine strips
  • 2 cups Napa cabbage, white part cut into fine strips and green part torn into pieces
  • 1 large carrot, shredded or cut into fine strips
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into fine strips or diced
  • 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced into half moon shapes
  • 5 to 6 green onions, white and pale green parts, sliced into thin rounds
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
Instructions:
  • To make the dressing, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients until well combined.

  • In a large salad bowl, toss all of the ingredients together. Add as much of the dressing as desired and toss well to coat all of the vegetables.

Makes 8 servings

colorful coleslaw

Other cabbage recipes to try:
Cabbage Poriyal
Coleslaw Bites with Jalapeno Dip
Chopped Cabbage with a Crumbly Chana Dal Sauce

On the top of the reading stack: Gogol

Audio Accompaniment: Black Smoker by Tom Opdahl

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Normally I'm kind of blah about coleslaw..but with all these spices, I could definitely get excited about it!

Unknown said...

My family will love this! Tangy, crunchy and colourful. Nice work Lisa x

Ity Tiwari said...

Hi Lisa
This is Ity here from Zürich. I bumped into your blog while adding Petitchef to my blog. I loved your recipe, I like the idea of yoghurt sauce, I am not a big fan of mayonisse, will definitely try this. Here is the link to my blog http://itytiwari.blogspot.ch/ you can have a look.
Thanks
Best Regards

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious and colorful! A lovely salad.

Cheers,

Rosa