Mini Tahini Cups with a Creamy Coffee Date Filling

mini tahini cups with creamy coffee date filling

Without a doubt, these addictive little raw energy bites rank high on my list of delectable treats. I've already made them twice, partly because I wanted to get the proportions just right, and largely because I wanted to eat them again, even though a batch yields about 20. They do keep well though, as they are stored in the refrigerator and the basic ingredients are coconut oil, tahini and dates — not that they lasted very long in my kitchen, especially considering I shared with friends. Peanut butter fan that I am, I honestly think these rank right up there with homemade peanut butter sweets.

raw tahini date cups

This brilliant recipe is slightly adapted from a new favorite cookbook that I received for possible review. I've written about Rawsome Vegan Baking before and haven't stopped using the book for inspiration since. The original recipe suggested serving them in standard size muffin cup portions, but I wanted to make them into smaller bite-size servings. Mind you, this did not prevent me from indulging in more, as I would have perhaps two (or more!) at a given time. Good thing they are naturally sweetened and full of goodness and without guilt — you would not necessary think so because these luscious creamy date filled delights satisfy the sweet tooth like the most decadent of desserts and literally melt in your mouth. Enjoy them anytime of day when the craving for a bit of sweetness hits. You won't miss the butter, sugar, nor the chocolate, in this instance.

Mini Tahini Cups with a Creamy Coffee Date FillingMini Tahini Cups with a Creamy Coffee Date Filling
Recipe by
Adapted from Rawsome Vegan Baking: An Un-cookbook for Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Beautiful and Sinfully Sweet Cookies, Cakes, Bars & Cupcakes
Published on April 30, 2014

Raw miniature tahini cups with a naturally sweet creamy coffee and date filling — addictive and guilt-free

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Coating:
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
Filling:
  • 3/4 cup dates, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup pitted prunes, roughly chopped (or use another 1/4 dates instead)
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup strong coffee, or as needed
Instructions:
  • Line 20 to 22 mini muffin cups with paper liners.

  • In a medium bowl, beat together the tahini and coconut oil until smooth. Line the cups with a little under half of the mixture. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until set.

  • To make the filling, combine the dates, prunes, coconut oil, vanilla, salt and 1/4 cup of the coffee in a food processor. Process until you have a smooth, thick paste, adding more coffee as needed.

  • Remove the cups from the refrigerator. Evenly drop about about a scant teaspoon of the filling into each cup, gently spreading out a bit with a damp finger. Fill the cups with the remaining tahini mixture until the cups are full. Chill in the refrigerator again until set, about another hour or two, preferably longer if you can wait that long.

Makes 20 to 22 mini cups

mini tahini date cups

Other raw treats to try from Lisa's Kitchen:
Avocado Coconut Nanaimo Bars
Raw Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Carob Balls
Cocoa Fruit Energy Bites

On the top of the reading stack: Dead Souls by Gogol

Audio Accompaniment: Gastón Arévalo

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Pretty sure I would be gobbling these up nonstop!

Healthy Life Lessons said...

Mmm, these sound awesome! I am a huge tahini fan, so I am going to have to try these.

Light Food Desire said...

These look delicious, can coffee be substituted for any other ingredient when making for toddlers

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) said...

These sound wonderful and just that little bit different. I'd love to snack on these throughout the day and I'm sure my family would too!

Lisa Turner said...

You could use tea if you don't wish to use coffee. Or, just add some water instead and extra vanilla extract.

janet @ the taste space said...

I don't think I would ever have thought to pair this together. I am so curious to try it out. I have many cookbooks but not this one. It looks awesome.

Light Food Desire said...

Thanks Lisa, I will try without tea/coffee and let you!

RD said...

I made these last weekend and they turned out great. Next time I will use the mini-cups, the regular ones were not quite right for this desert. Thank you for this.