Spicy Pesto Guacamole

pesto guacamole

My tried and tested guacamole has always received rave reviews from my guests, but I wanted to step things up a notch this time around and, after seeing a few recipes for pesto guacamole, I was sold on the idea, especially as there was basil from my backyard that I wanted to use and I have never been known to turn my nose up at pesto — and certainly not at guacamole. As tends to happen in my kitchen, this one is spiced up.

pesto
Spicy Pesto

As the weather gets cooler, and we spend more time indoors and indulge in a bit more snacking, what better way to do so than with this healthy dip that goes well with any chopped vegetables, toasted pita triangles and certainly tortilla chips. It's perfect anytime of year and a patio favorite. My best friend Basil pipes up here and describes the whole experience after trying it with some healthy baked tortilla chips:
First bite begins with flavors of avocado, basil, tomato, onion and lime, followed up with a distinct transmission of salt to introduce a pepper rush, warmly tingling the palette. A lingering aftertaste of lime is later detected.
Well, make it yourself and let me know what you think.


Spicy Pesto GuacamoleSpicy Pesto Guacamole
Recipe by
Cuisine: Mexican
Published on October 28, 2013

Creamy, spicy and tangy homemade guacamole with a delightful and fragrant basil pesto

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Pesto:
  • 2 tablespoon pine nuts, dry roasted
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Guacamole:
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
  • juice from 1 small lime (1 1/2 tablespoons)
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, tossing or stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

  • Combine the pine nuts with the rest of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth. Add more olive oil as needed.

  • To make the guacamole, mash the avocado with a fork in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, including the pesto, until well mixed.

  • Serve with raw vegetables, tortilla chips or toasted pita triangles. Refrigerate leftove guacamole for up to 3 days.

Makes approximately 3 cups
spicy pesto guacamole

More dips and spreads from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen you are sure to enjoy:
Kalamata Olive Tapenade
Spicy Red Pepper Hummus
Red Lentil and Toasted Walnut Tapenade with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Corn and Pinto Bean Dip

On the top of the reading stack: the stacks are scattered about at the moment

Audio Accompaniment: A Person Disguised as People

6 comments:

Shruti J said...

Wonderful!!! I love having this every now n then with crackers... :)

Recent post: http://cookingwithsj.com/2013/10/28/butter-chakri

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the concept of pest in guacamole Lisa. I like the new blog design by the way as well.

Joanne said...

I'm definitely into spice in my guac and the pesto addition definitely takes it up a notch even above that!

janet @ the taste space said...

Woah... looks like some tasty chips. I have been all over chips lately and I mostly eat them plain but pumpkin refried beans was also a nice dip. :)

Unknown said...

I love chips and guacamole and I like the idea of this blend of pesto and guacamole. I'll be trying it this weekend. I occasionally make vegan chili cheese chips using Daiya and my own homemade chili.

Stephanie said...

Oh yum!! How can I choose a favorite dip?? Guacamole and Hummus are high on the list!! Peace, Stephanie