Pasta Please #10 - The Lasagne Roundup

pasta please logo
It was a pleasure to host Pasta Please for Jacqueline this month. This is an ongoing event celebrating pasta with a different theme each time. I went with vegetarian lasagna this month because it's always a crowd pleaser and when I eat pasta, it's one of my favorite comforting ways to serve it up. Now it's time to have a look at the tempting submissions. Thanks to everyone who sent in their creative dish. Four of the submissions include squash, so I suppose it's also a lasagne roundup featuring squash.

First up is this Kid-Friendly Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna from Amy of Fit and Fabulous After 40. This dish is "just right" we are told and I have no doubt. It's also a good way to sneak in some vegetables that your kids might not ordinarily eat. Onion, courgette, carrots, basil, oregano, turmeric, soya mince and basil tomato sauce make up the vegetable base, and then comes together with a creamy béchamel sauce along with mozzarella. Lots of layers of goodness on this plate.

vegetarian lasagna

I'm up next with my signature Vegetarian Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna. I've perfected it over the years and it never fails to please. Homemade succulent mushroom and vegetable tomato sauce with carrots, celery, jalapenos, garlic and fresh herbs and a bit of spice nestle in with fresh noodles, lightly wilted spinach, creamy ricotta, parsley and fontina cheese; then the whole dish is topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. A balanced elegance and pure comfort is what you will experience when you try this, and happy diners too.

vegetarian mushroom and spinach lasagna

Caroline came up with a Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna that certainly has me hungry as I imagine the layers of textures and flavors going on here. Sweet potato and butternut squash snuggle in with the noodles and a white sauce made up of Parmesan, ricotta, egg yolks, milk and nutmeg. The dish is then sprinkled with bread crumbs. I'm certainly intrigued by the idea of squash in a lasagna.

squash lasagna

And on the subject of squash, our next submission from Shaheen of Allotment 2 Kitchen also features this mighty vegetable. Pull up a chair and consider serving this lovely Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna next time you want to feed a small crowd or have leftovers on hand, because leftover lasagna is fantastic. A rich bechamel sauce that includes cheddar cheese and herb and garlic tones, comes together with the noodles, squash, spinach, parsley and some additional cheese. I can almost taste it.

butternut squash lasagna

Yet more squash in this tempting Vegetarian Lasagna with Butternut Squash and Kale from Morgan of Peaches Please. This luscious pan of goodness won't fail to provide comfort on a cold autumn day. Squash is roasted with olive oil, nutmeg and seasoning, kale leaves are tossed with red wine vinegar, a buttery milk sauce with shallot, sage and tarragon is simmered up, ricotta is mixed with balsamic and then it all comes together with some sliced apples and Mozzarella. Such an intriguing flavor profile in this dish. Yes please.

fall lasagna

Our final submission is from Claire of Chez Cayenne. Served up is this rich and comforting Greek Eggplant Lasagna and it's vegan too. Moussaka inspired, this creative dish includes a tomato sauce with onion, garlic, ground round, cinnamon, allspice, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and a béchamel sauce with almond milk, vegan Parmesan and nutmeg. The noodles get cozy with the sauces and slices of eggplant. I bet seconds were in demand. Serve with a crispy green salad and a glass of wine.

vegan greek lasagna

And that concludes the roundup. Jacqueline is hosting the event next month and the theme is going to be mushrooms, so I'm excited of course. Stay tuned for the announcement on Jac's blog.

6 comments:

Claire said...

Nice roundup, Lisa! I'd like a sliver of each, please.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

What a great roundup. I'm making bolognaise and I may have to turn it into lasagne tomorrow after seeing all these yummy recipes. Seriously craving it now.

Shaheen said...

Thank you so much for hosting Lisa. I visited a number of blogs this month and so many of them were featuring lasagne - tis the season I guess, and many of them with the mighty butternut squash too.

Swathi said...

Delicious, Love all these dish.

Johanna GGG said...

I want a nice slab of lasagne with squash in it - they all look lovely - I had hoped to put a lasagne in but the month has whizzed by without an opportunity

Unknown said...

What a lovely round up! I should have shared my Samosa filling lasagne with you! I agree with you, lasagne is the ultimate comfort food xx