Indian-Style Roasted Squash Curry


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Indian squash curry

Making good use of seasonal vegetables is an important component of my culinary adventures. Squash is my latest fetish and for some reason, in the past, I have rather neglected this wholesome and versatile veggie. Funny that as my brother, who used to eat no more than about 5 or 6 different things as a child and would enjoy potatoes but hardly any other vegetable — quite literally — really took to squash when he expanded his repertoire of "edible" food. Myself, I was not really a picky eater except when it came to meat and fish, so I guess it is no wonder that I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now.

Squash is not only good for you, but surprising filling too, more so than most vegetables that appear on my table. Most recently I have been making soups with squash but this time around I wanted a rather dry hot curry squash dish to serve with a bed of rice and green peas. The only thing lacking for this meal was some savory flatbreads that I did not get around to making. Do consider using sweet dumpling squash if you can find it. Now a favorite of mine, it tastes a lot like pumpkin, more than most squashes I have tried.

sweet dumpling squash

Roasting the squash helps preserve the nutrients and brings out the natural sweetness. You may even wish to use a pumpkin instead of the squash varieties I recommend here as this curry would turn out just as well.

Indian-Style Roasted Squash CurryIndian-Style Roasted Squash Curry
Recipe by
Cuisine: Indian
Published on November 22, 2012

Fork-tender pieces of roasted squash simmered in a hot and fragrant Indian-spiced curry

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Squash:
  • 1 medium squash such as butternut, kabocha or sweet dumpling (about 1 lb)
  • butter or oil for brushing
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • pinch or two of sea salt
Curry:
  • 1 tablespoon ghee, butter or oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • 2 to 3 fresh chilies, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced or grated
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon amchoor powder (optional)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • pinch of asafetida
  • 1/3 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 large tomato, finely chopped
  • generous handful of dried curry leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Begin by roasting the squash. Preheat an oven to 400° and brush a broiling pan with butter or oil. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the membrane and seeds, and brush with butter or oil. Transfer to the broiling pan, sprinkle with turmeric and salt, and bake on the middle rack until just fork tender — about 40 minutes. Let cool before peeling, then cut into bite-sized pieces.

  • Heat the ghee, butter or oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When hot, toss in the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and stir for 30 seconds or until the mustard seeds turn grey and begin to splutter and pop. Add the chilies and ginger and stir for another minute. Add the ground spices and coconut and continue to stir for another minute. Now add the tomato and curry leaves and simmer, stirring frequently, for a few minutes or until the tomato is slightly reduced.

  • Add the cooked squash to the pan and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes to warm the vegetable, adding a little water if necessary. Taste and season with salt and black pepper as desired. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings
Indian-Style Roasted Squash Curry

More delightful squash recipes from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen:
Roasted Butternut Squash & Cannellini Bean Soup with Spices and Toasted Pistachios
White Bean and Mushroom Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
Butternut Squash Sambar
Roasted Butternut Squash and Herbed Cannellini and Artichokes with Fennel and Parsley Salad

9 comments:

Becky McNeer said...

Huge fan of curry and I've always wanted to try something different in my squash! Please share at Foodtastic Friday!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! i love squash and indian spices. you officially have a new follower via google friend connect! I can't wait to read many more recipes from you!

www.agirlandherfood.com

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for dropping by Kat and also for your kind comments.

Heather S-G said...

This sounds delicious! I have been trying lots of "new" (to me) squash recipes lately...trying to expand what I do with it, ya know? This is another bookmark for me to try. Thanks! :D

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks Heather. Let me know how it turns out for you. I was quite pleased with the result.

chow and chatter said...

this looks wonderful love Indian recipes

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I have a squash sitting in the fridge waiting patiently. Lovely curry Lisa :)

Bev said...

Hi Lisa
I just wanted you to know how much we enjoyed this for dinner last night.I used butternut squash. Since we now have access in London to fresh curry leaves, I have a stash of sandwich bags full of "handfuls" of frozen surplus leaves, which I used, also garnished with some of the last fresh from the garden cilantro! Now to search for sweet dumpling squash! Thanks

Lisa Turner said...

That's great Bev. So glad you enjoyed it.