February Indian Vegetarian Recipe Roundup


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
As far as I am concerned, one can never have enough Vegetarian Indian recipes on hand. Though I own many high quality Indian cookbooks, I come across a plethora of wonderful creations from my fellow bloggers and so invited them to share one of their favorites this month. A lucky random contributor will receive a copy of Sukham Ayu by Jigyasa Giri and Pratibha Jain at my expense. This incredible book will be sure to inspire enthusiastic lovers of Indian cuisine. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this event. Bon Appétit. And now for the entries:


Up first is Janet of The Taste Space with this Indian Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Chickpeas (Baingan Bharta with Chickpeas) that she adapted from a dish she tried after enjoying it at a friend's party. This blend of "smokey, sultry tomatoes and eggplant" with savory spices sounds and looks simply divine.


My contribution to the event are these rather fancy, but easy to prepare Chickpea Flour Dumplings Simmered in a Spicy Yogurt Sauce. One of my spicier dishes, feel free to tone down the heat but if you enjoy Indian hot as much as I do you won't want to miss out on this dish.


Ramya of My Little Cake Factory submits a Tomato Rice (Veg Pulav) that was inspired by one of her dear family members. Rice is essential to an Indian diet and this one is an ideal choice, especially if you have veggies in the fridge that you need to use up. The spicing here is perfect and even those that live in a household that is not strictly vegetarian will be unable to resist this flavourful and healthy dish.


Rosh of Chef Al Dente shares this recipe for Sarso bina Saag. Inspired by a traditional Punjab classic, mustard greens shine in this easy to prepare healthy dish. Certainly an inspiration to try mustard greens and I will be hunting some down soon to go along with my Makki Di Roti.


Celestial Dragon and the Divine Cherry collectively known as El Pasticcio work their magic and come up with this Bombay Aloo that will surely open up a whole new world for those just beginning to explore the delights, aromas and tastes of Indian cooking in their own kitchen.


A new to me dish - I so love the variety and versatility of Indian cuisine. Ambika of Yen Samayal Arai offers up these Ragi(Finger Millet) Dosa(Crepes) with Kaara with a spicy chutney dip. And we have a small tip: "Rub a cut onion on the tava (if you wish you can use just brush a drop of oil on the onion)if you wish to avoid oil in dosa to get crisp dosa".


Delicio8 comes up with an unexpected dinner after her housemate devoured the leftovers that were supposed to be served for dinner. Surely these filling non-traditional Aloo Paratha made for a delightful and filling meal.


Ambika of Ambika's Kitchen shares this most cherished and traditional recipe for Homemade Rice Papadum (Elai Vadam) that she learned from her mother-in-law. Though a laborious process, even with the help of family members or friends, I am sure these South Indian snacks are well worth the effort. I wish I could help Ambika in the kitchen to learn how to make these.


Priya (Ms. Rosemary) who posts at Goddess of Spice tempts my taste buds with this Paalak Kadhi. Yogurt, chickpea flour, veggies and of course spices come together for a perfect dish that would grace any table and impress your dinner guests.


Corina of Searching for Spice offers up a most mouthwatering Capsicum Subzi. This quick and easy Indian-style stir-fry surely is a good choice for a quick and healthy dinner, especially when served with some rice.


Anjali of Spice n Sugar Tales has me drooling over this Milky Carrot Fudge. A divine sight indeed, even this savory girl could not resist this rather sweet halva. "The carrots go very soft and they drink milk like drunkards left with bottomless beer".


My dear friend Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes presents this heavenly Aloo Gobhi. I could not resist this home-style combination of potatoes, cauliflower and spices. Of course, spicy girl that I am, I would indeed add more chilies as Jac notes.


I really do need to explore eggplant more often and lovely Soma of eCurry certainly has me wanting to dash off to the kitchen or to her table to try these Harissa Stuffed Eggplants. An indulgent dish and usually served in her household on special occasions, this is one dish that should be on your list of Indian vegetarian recipes to try.


Reeta of Mykaleidoscope shares her mom's Desi-style Pasta dish. Bursting with flavour, and especially good with homemade pasta, this surely is a weekend special. Serve with rice or dal or roti for a delightful meal.


Asmita, a Compulsive Foodie, is up next with Green mixed vegetables “Sai Bhaji”. When she first saw this dish, she cringed at the "green mush" that was put before her, but ended up loving this healthy and flavorful dish that includes lentils. Comforting and satisfying, you can't go wrong with this easy to prepare meal that goes well with rice or bread.


Ramya bakes up one of my favorites - Homemade Naan Bread baked on a tawa. I have always wanted to make my own naan breads and this recipe is certainly an inspiration and they can be cooked in the oven too. No doubt making this staple Indian bread at home is far better than the offerings of most Indian restaurants.


Jayanthi of Sizzlingveggies celebrates with this festive South Indian Avial. This vegetable dish is packed with goodness and to be enjoyed with rice or Adai (lentil crepes).


Eggplant is certainly enjoyed by many Indian cooks and this Eggplant Dish in a Peanut Butter Gravy certainly caught my interest. I really enjoy using peanut butter in savory dishes and Christy of My Kitchen Flavors provides us with a dish that goes well with rice or your favorite Indian flatbread.


I can never resist chickpeas and so we have this offering of Chole Palak from Geetha of Sun Moon and Tomatoes. Quick to mix up, and packed full of healthy ingredients and spinach too and a delightful array of spices, this is one dish that will for sure grace your table.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this event. I will likely be hosting another on in the future.

Congratulations to Jayanthi who was picked as the random winner. She submitted a South Indian Avial.

10 comments:

MapMaster said...

These look fantastic -- time for an Indian feast soon.

Anonymous said...

That is a really inspiring roundup lisa. My mouth is watering and I have to do some housework before I can think about dinner. *tummy rumbles*

Johanna GGG said...

lovely - makes me puzzle over why I am not making much indian food lately

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It all looks more than delicious Lisa! Why am I having fries for dinner:(

Rosh said...

Excellent round up Lisa! :)

Do contribute some of your fab recipes to my ongoing event Gimme GREEN!

Kris said...

My goodness, what a heavenly roundup! As I scrolled through your post, I pretty much clicked every recipe's name to open in a new tab. These look scrumptious. Thank you for sharing them, and thank you for your magnificent blog. It is always a delight to read your posts. Cheers!

Soma said...

Thank you for this so beautiful Round Up dear Lisa. Indian cuisine is so vast that even after eating Indian almost all my life, I still encounter so many new recipes and some I never even heard of.

Christy Gerald said...

That's a Beautiful n droolworthy roundup Dear. Luv it!

Asmita said...

Hi Lisa,
I love the roundup. Going to click on every link as the food looks so yum!

Menaka said...

Hi Lisa,
I'd just like to say that trawling through your website is a joy!
There are great recipe ideas and it gives me a healthy, varied diet!