Roasted Beetroot with Toasted Walnuts and a Yogurt Dressing

beetroot salad with walnuts

Beets, walnuts and some yogurt make for a perfect and nourishing salad for the cooler months. Though beets can be rather a messy pain to deal with, they are well worth the effort, especially when roasted to preserve their goodness. Though I am far from being an expert photographer, I think maybe I should watermark my images as I have found two sites in the past couple of weeks stealing my content including my recipe, write up along with photos. What a shame when us honest bloggers and foodies go to so much effort to create unique and original content. Off to Siberia they should go. Thankfully I have managed to deal with two sites trying to make money off other folk's creativity.

I will stop griping now and just suggest this most colorful and flavorful salad that went so well with a risotto-style barley with kale, goat cheese and Parmesan.


Roasted Beetroot with Toasted Walnuts and YogurtRoasted Beetroot with Toasted Walnuts and Yogurt
Recipe by
Published on January 16, 2012

A simple but elegant and nourishing salad with wonderful contrasts in colors and textures, suitable for any meal

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs (900 g) baby beets
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
  • generous handful dried curry leaves
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2/3 cup walnut pieces
  • juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Dressing:
  • 4 tablespoons plain or goat milk yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese or sour cream
  • fresh cracked black pepper and rock salt or sea salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
Garnish:
  • a generous handful of trimmed roughly chopped spinach or watercress
Instructions:
  • Begin by roasting the beets. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Scrub the beets and put into a baking pan. Sprinkle with the garlic, thyme and curry leaves. Season with salt and pepper and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover with foil and roast until fork tender — roughly 1 hour.

  • While the beets are roasting, place the walnuts into a small sauce pan with a bit of oil and stir and fry for 5 minutes over medium low-heat.

  • When the beetroot are cool enough to handle, chop off the ends and peel the skins. Slice into wedges and transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle over the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste, and some of the spinach or watercress. Gently toss.

  • To make the dressing, whisk together the yogurt and ricotta or sour cream and add rock salt or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Add the dressing as well as most of the walnuts and chives to the salad, leaving some walnuts and chives for garnish. Toss gently and serve in small bowls, garnished with the remaining walnuts, chives and spinach or watercress.

Makes 6 servings

beet salad with walnuts

Other beet dishes you will enjoy from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen:
Beet and Feta Salad
Beetroot Rasam
Baked Vegetable Cutlets
Haloumi, Beetroot and Greens Dressed with Tahini and Lemon

11 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I'm sorry to hear someone has been stealing your content - how did you find out? I'm not sure I would know, unless they used my name (which I have a Google alert for), but I'm guessing they don't give you any credit if they're stealing recipes!

Anyway, your beetroot salad looks delicious. I do love fresh beetroot - not quite so keen on the pickled stuff.

Lisa Turner said...

One of the sites I discovered via my stat page and the other site was pointed out to me by a reader. I am sure there are lots of sites that are stealing my content that I don't know about. Alas, that is the nature of the internet.

Anonymous said...

Well, those people who steal your content are actually aware of how valuable that is. This is a gem of a salad, just perfect for the season.

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a catchy and colourful salad.

Rita said...

I did roast some beets and loved them; great salad for me because spinach is one of my favourite things.
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I am not a great photographer, but someone suggested I started writing my blog name on my pictures.
Rita

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have found my content on other sites but thankfully it was credited back to me although my permission was not asked in most cases. Who would have known a post about grilled cheese with no recipe would bring so much traffic to my blog and in this case I have the scene stealer to thank. As for beets they have always been a favourite from childhood although I have moved on from the pickled variety.

Alli's Onederland said...

This looks yummy. Beets are one of my favorite things in this world. Question, does sharing your recipes on facebook bother you? I believe I've done it a couple of times. If so, I will stop immediately.

Lisa Turner said...

I don't mind at all if you share my recipe on facebook. I am happy you enjoy my offerings.

Yogi Kitchen said...

A classic combination and excellent colours, can't get enough beets!

Anh said...

How lovely beets and yoghurt are together. Striking color, too!

Simona Carini said...

I like roasted red beets a lot and don't mind getting my hands painted a bit when handling them. Their color is so cheerful. I just got that book and I have already marked several recipe I want to try tomorrow :) Thank you so much for your contribution to WHB!