Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Tomatoes and Spices

black-eyed pea soup

Cold weather calls for warming and nourishing soups and if you spice it up, you will be cozy under your blankets. I made this dish for New Year's Day as black-eyed peas are thought to bring prosperity and good luck for the New Year. Even if not (and I could use some luck and so I cross my fingers and legs) my husband and dear friend Basil enjoyed this delicious meal alongside some green beans and baby potatoes dressed with collard greens and olives. Apart from the prep, this is an easy and trouble-free soup to prepare. Let us celebrate the New Year by kicking unwanted mooches to the curb and welcoming dear friends and family for a feast of good food.

I adapted this recipe from River Cottage Everyday Veg. This beautiful book was a gift from my dear friend Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes. I will be writing much more about this book in the near future but for now I can say I am so impressed with the recipes that I have already made four recipes and have more planned. I am most smitten with so many of the dishes presented that include beets and goat cheese and all of the recipes are vegetarian friendly. Vegans will also be sure to find recipes that are suitable to their diet. We should all eat more vegetables to ensure good health. More than 200 hundred recipes are featured that will have your mouth watering.

Though the author is not vegetarian he has embraced meat-free meals. "I love the slight lawlessness of this way of eating. It's all so much less predictable and fun and more fun than being a slave to meat." Pretty much every recipe is accompanied with a gorgeous photo and readers are presented with a fine array of comfort foods, salads, raw veg dishes, breads, quick suppers, pasta and rice, mezze and tapas, side dishes and roasted and grilled vegetables. I also like the various alternatives that go along with many of the recipes. Creative cooks will be sure to find much inspiration in the kitchen.

Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Tomatoes and SpicesBlack-Eyed Pea Soup with Tomatoes and Spices
Recipe by
Adapted from River Cottage Everyday Veg
Published on January 9, 2012

A fragrant, nourishing and seasoned black-eyed pea soup with tomatoes, vegetables and a light spicing — delicious on a cool evening

Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe
Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dried black-eyed peas (3 cups cooked or 2 14 oz cans)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 jalapeños, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • large handful fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/3 cup brown rice, rinsed
  • 1-inch fresh ginger, grated or minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 2/3 teaspoons dried
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2/3 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • a few drops of hot sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
  • juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped, or a sprinkling of dried chives
  • fresh grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
Instructions:
  • Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Tomatoes and Spices

    Rinse the black-eyed peas under cold running water and soak for 8 hours or overnight covered with several inches of cold water. Drain the beans and transfer to a large saucepan or soup pot. Cover with several inches of fresh cold water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 to 60 minutes or until the peas are just tender. Drain and set aside.

  • Wipe the pan clean and heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, jalapeños and carrots. Stir and fry for 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown a bit. Now add the parsley and stir. Next, add the tomatoes, vegetable stock or water, cooked black-eyed peas, celery seed, brown rice, ginger, allspice, thyme, mustard powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric and hot sauce if using. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beans and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water or stock as needed. If you are including corn, add near the end of the cooking time along with the lemon juice. Season with salt. Serve hot in bowls and garnish with the chives and Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

black-eyed pea soup with tomatoes and spices

More Black-Eyed Pea dishes from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen you may enjoy:
Black-Eyed Pea and Quinoa Croquettes with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Indian Black-Eyed Peas
Black-Eyed Peas with Fenugreek and Tomatoes
Curried Black-Eyed Peas

8 comments:

Fran said...

This is my sort of soup/meal will have a go tonight. I too love the River Cottage Veg Book, it has fast become one of my favourite recipe books. I love the vedgeree (I don't think I've spelled that right!) it is absolutely delicious, real comfort food xxx

Priya Suresh said...

Super delicious and nutritious dish.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I hope that 2012 is full of luck with surprises around every corner. This hearty soup with black-eyed peas puts us on the right path.

Aarthi said...

First time here..You have lovely blog with awesome recipes…I am your new follower..Do check my blog if you have time..

A small suggestion..Y don't you keep a follower button..so that it will easy for us to follow ur recipe..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Aarthi. You can follow me on facebook, twitter and pinterest and also subscribe to my RSS feed.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am so pleased that you are enjoying the cookbook Lisa. It is quite different from most of your cookbook, so I wasn't sure how you would find it, although I love it xxxx

janet @ the taste space said...

Hey Lisa,

I was htinking of making this... do you remember which recipe this was based from in the cookbook? It looks similar to the pinto bean chili but can't tell for sure.

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/appaloosa-bean-chili/

Thanks!

-janet

Lisa Turner said...

Hi Janet; I think I based it on the Mexican tomato and bean soup recipe on page 138.