Dried Mushroom Curry


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
dried mushrooms curry morels

My cast-iron skillet always turns out excellent results. I didn't have fresh mushrooms on hand, but I did have a good variety of dried mushrooms in my cupboard. I wish I had a pantry as my cupboards are packed full. I have a difficult time finding necessary ingredients, and what an avalanche of spice jars and such falling out of the cupboard when I am searching for a desired ingredient. The trials and tribulations of having a packed kitchen, but I can't resist having staples on hand and then, all my spices — roughly 40 different ground spices, seeds and homemade blends.

Morels were my choice for a light lunch. Spices make this a most tantalizing light meal and the chewy texture of the mushrooms are just right. If you want to serve this alongside dinner, consider serving it with rice, a fresh salad and some baked potatoes and a dal soup.

Dried Mushroom CurryDried Mushroom Curry
Recipe by
Cuisine: Indian
Published on October 21, 2011

A quick and easy spicy curry featuring the intense earthiness of dried mushrooms — great for a light lunch or side dish

Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 oz (14 g) dried mushrooms (I used morels)
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil for frying
  • 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • pinch of asafetida
  • 3 to 5 fresh green chilies, seeded and minced
  • 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
  • sea salt to taste
Instructions:
  • Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain and chop coarsely. Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet. When hot, add the mustard seeds and stir and fry until they turn grey and pop.

  • Immediately add the onion and cook until the onion turns translucent. Toss in the spices and chilies and stir and fry for a minute, then add the mushrooms. Stir and fry for 5 minutes and then add the tomatoes and salt. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until you achieve your desired consistency.

Makes 2 servings


More mushroom recipes from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen:
Scalloped Potatoes with Best Ever Mushroom Sauce
Best Ever Mushroom Sauce
Mushroom Marinara Sauce with Quinoa Pasta
Pasta with Goat Cheese and Mixed Mushrooms
Wild Mushroom and Paneer Pilaf with Urad Dal
Wild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and Dried Mushrooms

Audio accompaniment: Pearl by Brian Eno and Harold Budd

On the top of the reading stack: The Siberian Curse by Fiona Hill

10 comments:

Janice said...

How very inventive! Nothing like rummaging in your cupboards for a bit of inspiration! Looks great.

Rashmi said...

Really nice dish with the combination of mushrooms and indian spices.
Thanks for the amazing kind of dish.

Unknown said...

i am definitely going to be a regular on your blog. i found it while looking for quinoa recipes, and it looks like i hit the jackpot! (have you ever tried African peanut quinoa soup? it is delicious.)

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for stopping by Julia. I have not tried African Peanut Quinoa Soup but I am sure I would love it.

Fran said...

I have just cooked this, didn't have any dried mushrooms so substituted fresh ones, it is absolutely delicious. Thank you for the recipe. If you don't mind I would like to put a link to it from my blog x

Lisa Turner said...

Hi Fran;

Thanks for stopping by and I am glad you enjoyed the dish. I want to try it again with fresh mushrooms, but I was too lazy to fetch some from the store that day. I don't mind if you link to my recipe.

Anonymous said...

hey :)

thank you for this inspiring recipe :) :)

can you please tell me if it would be possible to make this in advance and then re-heat, say, for a holiday gathering?

thank you :) :)

Lisa Turner said...

Hi Anon;

You could make it ahead of time and reheat, but because it is so easy and best right before serving, I would suggest making it before serving.

Unknown said...

Can I use only the dehydrated mushrooms. I don't wanna soak them. Will that be fine?

Lisa Turner said...

You could try with fresh mushrooms. It does not take long for dried mushrooms to soak and they made for a rather unique dish.