Marinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Olives

Marinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Olives

Of all the "little foods" of the eastern Mediterranean "meze" tradition, hummus has always been a favorite choice of mine not only for entertaining friends but also for simple and convenient light meal solutions. The simple background of ground chickpeas lends itself to adaptation to many varieties of spices and flavorings, making it one of the most versatile of foods in the vegetarian kitchen. So for me, it's another opportunity to make use of my favorite marinated sun-dried tomato recipe, which I've already put to good use in this delicious vinaigrette and in this rich and wonderful pasta sauce. And how could I resist including olives?


Marinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with OlivesMarinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Olives
Recipe by
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Published on September 27, 2010

Simple and flavorful hummus with tangy marinated sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives

Preparation: 10 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dried chickpeas (3 cups cooked or 2 14 oz cans)
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
  • small handful fresh parsley
Instructions:
  • Rinse the chickpeas and soak overnight covered in several inches of cold water. Drain and rinse, then transfer to a medium saucepan. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are soft. Drain and set aside to cool.

  • Place the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the chickpeas and olive oil and process until smooth again, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula occasionally. Add the marinated sun-dried tomatoes and olives, and process until the tomatoes and olives are chopped into small bits and blended into the hummus. Now add the parsley and pulse until mixed in.

  • Serve in a bowl with cut fresh vegetables and slices of fresh pita bread for dipping. May be covered and refrigerated for a few days.

Makes 3 cups

Marinated Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Olives

Other hummus recipes you may enjoy:
Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Hummus with Goat Cheese
Tukish Yogurt Hummus

9 comments:

fuat gencal said...

Çok güzel görünüyor. Leziz ve iştah açıcı ellerinize sağlık.

Saygılar.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hummus is so versdatile Lisa. Just love it with pita.

Priya Suresh said...

Droolworthy hummus..

AJ said...

Yum!! I love hummus this way!!

Sabeen said...

I loved it. Simply delicious and easy Recipe. Looks awesome.

Jenny said...

Awhile back I had a jar of sundried tomato pesto. I added a dollop to my hummus, and it was indeed very tasty! Olives would've made it even better. I love adding little things to hummus like this -- I think the possibilities are endless.

Susan said...

If I didn't have hummus to fall back on for a quick meal after a hard day, I would probably be eating soup right out of the can.

Sun-dried tomatoes and olives are such perfect snappy-flavor additions. I'd love this spread to fill an omelet.

Thanks, dear Lisa, for your MLLA recipe!

eatme_delicious said...

Yumm it's been too long since I've made hummus!

Margherita said...

I always buy this stuff at WF but I really want to make my own. This recipe is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for sharing
Love&Light
Margherita