Wild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and Mushrooms

Wild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and Mushrooms

This cold weather recipe was inspired by a recipe for Wild Rice Chowder found in World Vegetarian Classics: Over 200 Essential International Recipes for the Modern Kitchen by Celia Brooks Brown.


Wild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and MushroomsWild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and Mushrooms
Recipe by
Published on October 18, 2009

Thick, warming and nourishing wild rice soup with coconut and mushrooms — a wonderful winter soup

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked wild rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 oz (28 g) dried mushrooms (I used lobster and chanterelle)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons chickpea flour (besan) or unbleached white flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • small bunch of green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped
  • 2 to 3 jalapeƱos, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/3 cup fresh grated coconut
  • 1 teaspoon of celery seed
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Rinse the wild rice and transfer to a medium saucepan. Pour in the water and add the salt and bay leaves. Bring to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and begins to fluff up — about 50 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

  • While the rice is cooking, soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain, roughly chop, and set aside.

  • Whisk the flour, milk and yogurt together until smooth. Set aside.

  • When the rice is cooked, heat the oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the green onions and shallots, and stir for a few minutes to soften. Add the mushrooms, jalapeƱos, turmeric, and fresh coconut, and stir for another minute. Pour in the wild rice, add the celery seed, and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.

  • Stir in the flour, milk and yogurt mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes. If the soup appears too thick, add water or more milk to reach your desired consistency.

  • Add plenty of fresh ground black pepper and more salt if desired at the end of the cooking time. Discard the bay leaves and serve hot.

Makes 4 servings

Wild Rice Chowder with Fresh Coconut and Mushrooms

More ideas for wild rice from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen:
Cranberry Wild Rice Soup
Pine Nut and Orange Wild Rice
Wild Rice and Portobello Mushroom Soup
Wild Rice and Asparagus Salad

On the top of the reading stack: Castle to Castle by Louis-Ferdinand Celine

17 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

sounds scrumptious - would be good with coconut cream for a dairy-free version

Ivy said...

Have never cooked with wild rice before. I love the flavours in this soup.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Ooh, that sounds really good, especially with the coconut :)

CurryLeaf said...

Wow ,wonderful the chowder looks.The combination of ingredients is wonderful.Truly u made wonderful use of pantry items.

Priya Suresh said...

Droolworthy chowder looks marvellous!

Anonymous said...

We have been having a particularly nasty stretch of weather for early October, so this soup calls out to me. It looks hearty and comforting, creamy and satisfying. The coconut definitely keeps things interesting! :D I wish I were wrapping my hands around a mug-ful right now! Thanks for a delicious idea and recipe.

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Oraphan said...

What a great blog!!!

So glad I've found you. I've just started to be a vegetarian early this year and I'm still struggling with choices of food I like to eat. Looking through your blog makes me feel so excited that I've found a LOT of ideas+inspiration, thank you for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

Lisa that looks scrummy. My wild rice is at the back of the cupboard but I shall be dusting it off now. I like any excuse to add coconut to soup - be it frozen milk hearts or shavings of creamed coconut. Soup making has to be one of the blessings of cold, dark nights :o)

Usha said...

This sounds fantastic, what an unique combination of flavors...

Soma said...

Love how you have brought in different things to make a beautiful bowl. Very flavorful & must have had great texture.

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo I love the sound of coconut and mushroom together!

iRaw said...

This looks absolutely delicious - can't wait to try it!

Wanda said...

What a delicious sounding Mushroom Chowder. Lots of taste and texture. really comforting on a chilly day. The addition of coconut milk is also worth trying. Yum

Sanjana said...

Wow, this is really creative and looks so delicious. So when can I come over for dinner? :D
I love adding gram flour to my soups to thicken them too, so this is something I would love to cook! Loving your recipes- I'll be back for more :)

Unknown said...

YUM! This was perfect!!

catherine said...

I am a vegetarian and i would love to try your recipe.

Natalie said...

Mmm Mmm Good. I love chowder. I love coconut rice. I do believe I will love making this recipe in the cold nights to come! Great share!