Quinoa with Coconut and Roasted Cashews


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Quinoa is a highly prized grain in my household, as much for its nutritional value as its delightful nutty taste and fluffy texture. It's as easy to prepare as rice, and indeed, could readily be substituted in many recipes. Soon, I will make lemon quinoa with roasted cashews; in fact, I'm not sure why I haven't thought of this combination before.

This preparation is an Indian-style dish that is only slightly adapted from A2ZVegetarian. It's an ideal way to incorporate grains into a summer meal and can be served alongside beans and vegetables for a satisfying, wholesome and well-balanced vegetarian dinner.
Quinoa with Coconut and Roasted Cashews
Adapted from A2ZVegetarian

1 cup of uncooked quinoa
1/3 - 1/2 cup of roasted cashews
2 teaspoon of oil
1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon of asafoetida powder
3 - 4 green chilies
4 teaspoons of urad dal, rinsed
small handful of dried curry leaves
1 cup of dried coconut
sea salt to taste
fresh cilantro or parsley or garnishing (optional)


Rinse the quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer and soak overnight in two cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy - roughly 20 minutes. Set the quinoa aside.

In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds and cook until they turn grey and begin to pop. Add the asafoetida, urad dal, chilies, and curry leaves to the pan. Stir and fry for a few minutes, or until the urad dal begins to brown.

Now add the coconut to the pan and stir continuously for a few more minutes until the coconut begins to brown. Add this mixture to the cooked quinoa, along with the roasted cashews and a bit of salt and toss to combine. Garnish with cilantro or parsley if desired.

Serves 4-6.

More quinoa recipes from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen:
Breakfast Quinoa Porridge
Quinoa Oat Croquettes
Quinoa with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Corn
Quinoa Soup with Corn

On the top of the reading stack: Green Hell: How Environmentalists Plan to Ruin Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them by Steve Milloy

Audio accompaniment: An Accidental Memory In The Case of Death by Eluvium

13 comments:

Parita said...

Thats such a unique dish, love the flavors of coconut and cashwes together, hmmm delicious!

iRaw said...

This looks so good! I've yet to try quinoa...I think it's time. I don't know what asafoetida powder is, I'll have to research that. And as always, your photo is beautiful!

Soma said...

This looks divine.. i mean literally too.. love the white!

Johanna GGG said...

great idea to substitute quinoa - I saw a mix of coloured quinoa last week - it would look spectacular instead of rice in some dishes

Suparna said...

wow Lisa,this one is a very good healthier version of lemon rice/coconut rice that we make here :) the quinoa with coconut and cashew looks angelic :)
TC

Ricki said...

Well, you know how much I adore quinoa--this is a definite "to try" on my list! Looks wonderful.

Anh said...

I have been telling myself to cook qith quinoa more… You have really inspired me!

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow....looks yum....

Anonymous said...

i love this dish..its almost like coconut rice..

Pooja said...

Wow the quinoa must have been flavourful with cashews and coconut! I have nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award.Do check my blog for more details :)

Susan said...

The textures in this bowl are just as delectable as the flavors. I can imagine a faint bit of sweet from the cashews. Another lovely recipe, Lisa. I just don't know how you knock them out!

eatme_delicious said...

I love cashews with grains and in stir fries yet I never buy them?? Which is strange. This looks like an excellent dish. Love the coconut in there.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try a new quinoa recipe, I am so sick of mine!! Thanks for sharing!

www.agirlandherfood.com