Scrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili Paste


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Scrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili Paste

Forgetting to soak some grains and beans the night before, I figured on making some eggs for dinner, but then decided it was time for a short vegan cleanse after my recent paneer cheese binge. I am addicted to cheese, but honestly didn't miss the diary in these scrambled chickpea flour "eggs".

This recipe calls for a red chili and vinegar paste that I prepared for a spicy scalloped potato recipe, but a blend of crushed chilies and ginger will do just as nicely.

Rolled up in some warmed tortillas, this is a most satisfying on the fly vegetarian meal solution.

If you want to incorporate some veggies to the cooked scramble, heat some more oil in the pan, toss in some chopped onions, fry for a bit, add a chopped chili, tomato, and any vegetables of your choosing. Add the chopped chickpea flour scramble to the pan and cook until heated throughout.

Scrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili PasteScrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili Paste
Recipe by
Cuisine: Indian
Published on May 10, 2009

Quick and easy, light, fluffy and spicy vegan scrambled "eggs" made with chickpea flour

Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chickpea flour (besan), sifted
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
  • 1 tablespoon red chili and vinegar paste or a blend of crushed chilies and ginger
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Instructions:
  • In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour, coriander, salt, garam masala, cayenne and turmeric. Pour in 3/4 cup of water and whisk together. Pour in another 3/4 cup of water and whisk in until you have a smooth thin batter.

  • Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds and cook until they turn grey and begin to pop. Sprinkle in the asafetida, stir once, and add the red chili and vinegar paste. Stir for a few minutes.

  • Lower the heat slightly and pour the chickpea flour batter into the pan. Stir constantly and cook until the mixture turns into a soft ball — roughly 5 to 8 minutes. Make sure you scrap any bits of dough from the sides and bottom of the pan.

Scrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili Paste
  • Remove the pan from the heat and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a cutting board and sprinkle with cilantro. Slice the dough into small pieces, taking care to incorporate the chopped cilantro into the dough. The chopped scramble will resemble fluffy scrambled eggs.

  • Serve wrapped in warmed whole wheat tortillas or with any Indian flat bread.

Makes 4 servings

Scrambled Chickpea Flour with a Fiery Red Chili Paste

More recipes using chickpea flour:
Chickpea Flour Fritters with a Creamy Ricotta, Sun-dried Tomato and Olive Filling
Chickpea Flour Pancakes with Crushed Peas and Cilantro
Chickpea Pumpkin Burgers

21 comments:

Indhu said...

yumm recipe... this is such a great idea... a must-try dish :)

Johanna GGG said...

This sounds such a creative way to do a scramble - I dislike eggs but love a tofu scramble - however I am more likely to have chickpea flour in the pantry than tofu in the fridge so this alternative sounds great - I will definitely be bookmarking it

Lisa Turner said...

I lack the vocabulary to describe how amazing this scramble is. It's just that good. It leaves you speechless.

Suparna said...

Hi Lisa,
Chickpea flour scramble looks so tempting. Great with tortillas..u know something...even I use the vinegar red chile paste in an experimental basis in regular dishes like potaoes and peas gravy, spinach stiry fry n stuff...actually it tastes damn good. It's turned out to be a multipurpose paste :)
Thanks for the scramble recipe good alternative for eggs.
TC

Parita said...

Wow lisa..that a very unique dish..lovely :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for such wonderful
information.........If you are a Food Lover just
the way I am......Please check out the blog
mentioned below, some really yummy
recipes are out there !!!!.....Check it out m

sure you'll love it.

http://staysharpwithrecepies.blogspot.com

A_and_N said...

I love the name: 'fiery red chili paste' :) this scramble sounds like a great way to begin your day :)

Susan said...

Wow! I'm pretty speechless, too - and I haven't even tasted it yet. : }

eatme_delicious said...

WOW I have never seen anything like this! Looks and sounds so amazing!! Lucky me I have some chickpea flour in my cupboard too. =)

Werner from easyrecipesvegetarian.com said...

Completely new to me. Great Recipe! Thanks

Soma said...

I have to try this. My MIL makes something similar, but i have no idea how. This sounds really great & quick & healthy.

bee said...

in bombay you get a similar thing in omelet form with chickpea flour and tomatoes. it's called a vegetarian omelet and i love it. i love every recipe from 660 curries.

Lisa Turner said...

Suparna, that paste would go well in lots of dishes. I like your ideas.

Bee, that book is indispensable. Love the sounds of that vegetarian omelet. I will try to come up with a recipe for that!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I first had this at my inlaws I instantly fell in love with that, havent made this though, this recipe is a keeper...

Chutneytales said...

Fantastic recipe!Bookmarked!!

nath said...

I haven't even tasted it yet, but it's look delicious and healthy :)

Netts Nook said...

Looks great can't wait to give it a try thanks for sharing.

Jen said...

I tried this tonight and thought, "there is no way my kids will eat it." My 7yo loved it! (I decreased the cayenne and subbed Thai red curry paste for the chili paste.)

Unknown said...

sounds like a must try recipe! awesome. thanks.

spicesetc.blogspot.com

Vicci said...

This sounds perfect! I bought a bag of chickpea flour a couple of weeks ago for one recipe and was wondering what I will do with the rest-- but now I've seen this, and your related, posts. I may have to buy another bag! Thanks so much for the recipes! :)

Lisa Turner said...

Vicci;

I have more chickpea flour recipes coming soon. Stay tuned for gluten-free chickpea flour brownies.