Corn Pancakes with Fresh Chunky Salsa

One of my favorite blogging events is Tried and Tasted, a monthly event started by Zlamushka. Each month a different blog is featured and participants are invited and encouraged to browse through and cook from the archives. Considering how many recipes I bookmark and print off to try, having a focus is certainly welcomed.

The event is hosted this time around by Tasty Curry Leaf, and Tasty Palettes, run by the talented Suganya, is the featured site for March. I was excited by this choice, as I've long been a fan and enjoyed more than a few of her creations. Asides from her stunning photography, Suganya's recipes are always a treat and a welcome addition to the dinner table. Even her easiest dishes add a gourmet element to the meal.

The hardest part of this challenge was to actually settle on a recipe as all of Suganya's recipes are tempting. I was originally going to go with this cheese stuffed Baked Portobello but instead decided to make her Corn Pancakes with Gazpacho Salsa because I liked the idea of a filling savory pancake dish to serve for dinner. I did make a few changes to the original recipe. I used yogurt instead of milk for the pancakes because I didn't have any milk in the fridge, and I changed the salsa around somewhat, most notably by making a chunky version instead of a blended version.

The result was a fresh and satisfying dinner, and though spring is slow in coming, I am already craving summer. This recipe can easily be doubled if you have more tummies to satisfy.
Corn Pancakes with Fresh Chunky Salsa

For the Corn Pancakes:

3/4 cup of unbleached white flour
3/4 cup of cornmeal
1 1/2 cups of corn (fresh or frozen - thawed if frozen)
1 cup of milk (I used yogurt)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 of finely chopped fresh cilantro
olive oil for frying

For the Salsa:

2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 hot green chili, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 tablespoon of olive oil
sea salt to taste


To make the Corn Pancakes, combine the flour, baking powder, corn meal and salt in a medium large bowl. Add the corn and stir in the milk (or yogurt) and cilantro until just combined. If the mixture is too dry, add more milk or yogurt.

Heat a few teaspoons of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon in roughly 1/4 - 1/3 cup of batter per pancake (roughly 2 inches wide). Cook until browned - roughly 5 minutes - and flip and cook the other side until browned. Add more oil as necessary. Keep the pancakes warm in a 150 degree oven until ready to serve.

To make the Chunky Salsa, combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Serve over the hot corn pancakes.

Yields roughly 2 - 4 servings.
You might also enjoy:
Spicy Potato Pancakes
Rice Flour Pancakes
Blueberry and Cornmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

20 comments:

delhibelle said...

these look awesome, I have got to try these too.

Ricki said...

I'd say you made the right choice! They look terrific, and I bet the salsa was just perfect as an accompaniment.

Vaidehi said...

delicious!! salsa looks very tempting..

chakali

Madhu said...

Corn cake and salsa both looks vibrant. Love the combo very much.

Arundathi said...

the corn cakes so good - at work right now and not looking fwd to a horrid lunch at the canteen! wish i could eat off the computer screen instead!

Bellini Valli said...

This would be a delicious treat using sweet Ontario corn Lisa:D

Chitra said...

delicious:)

Sharmila said...

This looks so easy and delicious! :-)

Curry Leaf said...

Love it Lisa,thanks for the entry.The combo is very delicious

Easy Recipes said...

I have never heard of corn pancakes but they sure look good!

I am going to bookmark this recipe for later! Thanks!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo this looks like an awesome meal!

Soma said...

Excellent as snacks!! I have cornmeal & corn. I am going to try these soon. Salsa is perfect with these.

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

You always have good, practical vegetarian recipes. I need more for my 2 vegetable fussy eater! Thanks!

Johanna said...

love the cheery yellow of these pancakes - who could resist!

Usha said...

Love the sound of these corn pancakes, looks so inviting !

Suganya said...

You are being kind, Lisa. I adore your blog :).

zlamushka said...

looks fantastic, I know what I am making for T&T in April :-)

Ivy said...

I am drooling. Both recipes sound delicious.

meteorito said...

Excellent recipe Lisa!!! I made these and really enjoyed them. Easy and very tasty. Only thing is that it seems the cilantro is left out in the instructions to mix the pancakes. I cooked everything up and still had it sitting on the counter! Oops!

Love your blog -I use the photos to inspire me when I feel too lazy to cook. It invariably gets me into the kitchen :D

Lisa said...

Meteorito;

Oops indeed! The cilantro goes in with the milk. I just edited my post. Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for your kind words.