Mushroom Pulao


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Mushroom Pulao

I have a confession to make. I actually used canned mushrooms for this dish. Yes, I, who takes an essentially purist approach to cooking. While remaining realistic, I rarely use canned tomatoes or sauces, never purchase pre-prepared dressings, make my own pastry and go with fresh herbs and produce whenever possible. So why would I use canned mushrooms of all things when I can easily pick up a bag of mushrooms at the local grocery story or market?

I can only plead mushroom addiction. Lover of all things mushroom, I was cruising past the kosher clearance bin shortly after passover a few months back at the grocery store near my home when the cans of mushrooms caught my eye. I stopped to investigate and couldn't resist purchasing a can, reminded as I was of the mushroom pulao that I enjoy whenever I visit Curry's Restaurant here in London Ontario. I'm not entirely certain Curry's uses canned mushrooms for their rice dish, but I've cooked with mushrooms for many years now and was never able to recreate the texture of the mushrooms. Freshly fried mushrooms cannot be matched but there is just something about the chewy and juicy little slices of shrooms languishing in a tin that cries out for consumption. You only live once.

And yeah, I also used frozen peas.

In this recipe, I assume you are using fresh mushrooms, but canned mushrooms can be substituted if you are craving the canned mushroom experience.

Mushroom PulaoMushroom Pulao
Recipe by
Cuisine: Indian
Published on November 14, 2008

Classic Indian mushroom rice and pea pulao with tomato and gentle spices

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup white basmati rice
  • generous handful of green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1-inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons oil or ghee
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (or 1 small can)
  • 1 small tomato, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2/3 cup fresh or frozen and defrosted peas
  • fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Instructions:
  • Rinse the rice well in a fine strainer. Transfer to bowl, cover with water, swish it around a few times, and drain. Repeat until the water is relatively clear and no longer cloudy. Drain, cover with water, and soak the rice for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to air dry for 15 minutes or so.

  • Meanwhile, make a paste of the ginger and chilies in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.

  • Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Fry the cumin seeds until they darken a few shades. Add the onion and cook to soften. Stir in the ginger-chili paste, then add the mushrooms and tomato and stir for a few minutes to soften.

  • Toss in the spices and salt, stir once, and now add the rice. Stir for 1 minute, then add the peas and pour in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, immediately reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.

Makes 4 servings

Mushroom Pulao

7 comments:

test it comm said...

That looks good. I use canned diced tomatoes all the time though I have not tried canned mushrooms yet.

Johanna GGG said...

I rarely use canned mushrooms but have used them when I want a particular taste - but frozen peas are a staple

Anonymous said...

Years ago, a friend cooked pulau for me, and I was smitten. I will definitely try this dish--canned mushies or no!

Laavanya said...

There is a particular gravy i make for which canned mushroom works the best.. so I can understand :) Pulao looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

canned mushrooms never hurt anyone!! i've never used canned ones actually. i guess i just don't cook with mushrooms very much. i didn't even know you could eat them raw until my mom popped one in her mouth. i was like "what are you doing??!?! that's gross!!" hhahahaha

Jennifer said...

It looks very tasty! I think we all used canned this or frozen that every now and then. ;-)

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years now. I look forward to following your blog and getting new ideas!

Usha said...

This pulao looks very tasty, I have used canned mushrooms a couple of times in the past though normally I use only fresh ones, but peas mean frozen peas all the time these days :-)