Puy Lentil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Salad

Puy Lentil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Salad

Dark earthy green-brown and dotted with fine bluish speckles, Puy lentils are easily the most attractive lentil I've come across, but it is their remarkable ability to hold their shape when cooked and their warm, peppery flavor that makes them the king of their species. It's really a wonder that I bought a small bag about two years ago and let them languish for so long before rediscovering their delights just a short while ago.

This little salad is so very simple, but oh so delicious and refreshing on a warm day — but what else would you expect from almost anything with marinated feta cheese and roasted red pepper. If you choose to roast your own peppers instead of using the jarred variety, you are in for a treat and they smell heavenly when you pull them from the oven. Just start the roasting at about the same time as the marinating — simple but fail-proof instructions can be found here.


Puy Lentil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper SaladPuy Lentil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Salad
Recipe by
Published on June 13, 2008

Simple, vibrant and flavorful salad of peppery French lentils, sweet roasted red pepper and tangy, salty feta cheese

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz (340 g) feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon dried mint
  • 1 cup Puy (French) lentils
  • 1 fresh green chili
  • 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
  • 1 roasted sweet red bell pepper, cut into small strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn
Instructions:
  • Toss the feta cheese with the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and dried mint. Leave to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, giving the cheese an extra toss now and then.

  • Meanwhile, rinse the lentils under cold running water and place in a medium saucepan covered with several inches of cold water. Cut a slit down the side of the green chili and add it to the water along with the onion and garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer until the lentils are tender but firm, about 25 minutes. Drain and remove the chili and garlic. Set aside to cool.

  • Once the lentils are room temperature, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Stir in the marinated feta, including the marinating oil, and the roasted red pepper.

  • Garnish with the fresh mint leaves and serve.

Makes 4 servings

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great combo! I even just got permission to make your recipe for a Greek friend who is a picky eater. She doesn't like mint though, so I'll have to just add the mint to my plate. *Sigh* I suppose I'll just stick some parsley in for her, can't think of what else to do. The mint sounds inspired to me, but there are some battles one just cannot win. :-)

TBC said...

That's a nice salad, Lisa! I was under the impression that Puy lentils were the same as French lentils.

I made something the other day that I'm going to send across soon.

Anonymous said...

A great way to use lentils (and the puy ones are just so nice, aren't they?). And I do appreciate the mint in there, of course! ;)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I really like this salad Lisa :) I am going to save this one to try. I haven't marinated feta before, I just serve it plain, but this sounds like a great idea.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I completely agree with you about how tasty this salad is - my local del-cafe serves this up once in a while, and it's always a must-have in my book. And it's so healthy, too!

Astra Libris said...

ohhhh, gorgeous... I absolutely adore feta... heavenly... Your feta and lentils combo sounds positively transcendental!

indosungod said...

A wonderful combo Lisa. I started warming up to cheeses very late and my latest affair is with feta cheese.

test it comm said...

This is my kind of salad. I think I just found breakfast for next week.

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo that salad sounds so delicious. Especially the marinated feta combined with roasted peppers. I haven't been very adventurous with lentils!

Ivy said...

Although I am not sure what kind of lentils we use, there is only one type in Greece, the brown ones but this salad is interesting. I've never thought of using lentils before in a salad, but it makes perfect sense now!

Lucy said...

Oh. YUM. It's just that pepperiness that I love about a good Le Puy, too.

Going to try and get a post up in time, but am snowed under a mountain of work.

Damn work. Always gets in the way...

Arundathi said...

I love Puy lentils...and the marinated feta sounds like a dream!

Babycakes said...

Lovely looking recipes. Have you got any other ideas about how to use puy lentils, they're delicious.

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks babycakes. I have often cooked with Puy lentils. Here are a few more suggestions:

Chickpea and Lentil Salad with Zucchini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Chickpeas, Kidney Beans and Lentils with a Spicy Tomato Sauce

Green Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk

Doublet said...

Just made this - still warm & tates FATASTIC!! Thank you, Di