Jalapeño Spoon Bread

Jalapeño Spoon Bread

Spoon breads are classic Southern American dinner sides consisting of cornmeal, milk, butter and eggs. It has a custard-like texture and is perhaps best described as a cornbread pudding. I served this with a soup and salad, but it would also make a fine breakfast dish.

Jalapeño Spoon Bread

Jalapeño Spoon BreadJalapeño Spoon Bread
Recipe by
Cuisine: Southern U.S.
Published on April 7, 2008

Simple savory and creamy cornbread dinner pudding with fresh chopped jalapeños — an easy and delicious accompaniment to any southern or southwestern themed meal

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 eggs, separated
Instructions:
  • Grease an 8-inch baking pan or dish.

  • In a heavy saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it almost reaches a boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the cornmeal and jalapeños. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, sugar, salt and baking powder. Beat the egg yolks together and stir into the pan, mixing well. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the cornmeal and milk mixture until well combined.

  • Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes or until the bread is browned and puffy. Serve warm or cool, using a spoon to serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings
Jalapeño Spoon Bread

15 comments:

test it comm said...

Spoon bread sounds pretty interesting. I like the use of the jalapeno peppers.

indosungod said...

Spoon bread looks delicious, love the addition of jalapenos. With eggs and milk ofcourse a perfect dish as well.

Peter M said...

I made a cornbread similar to this last year and it was a delight...quick breads are right up my alley.

Johanna GGG said...

I was always fascinated with spoon bread in the moosewood cookbooks (I think the enchanted broccoli forrest has a few) - yours looks great - I must revisit them some time

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Spoon bread has been on my list of things to try..thanks for the incentive Lisa:D

Jen said...

I had never actually known what spoonbread was before your post... it looks good and like you could play with the flavors to say make a sweet spoon bread for breakfast.

Unknown said...

This is a very new recipe for me. I would love to try this recipe.We love jalapenos and this will be a great treat.

Laura Paterson said...

This is a new one to me... looks lovely.
Jalapenos and Cornbread? Can't go wrong really!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo that looks so good. I've never had spoon bread before. I just saw another recipe for it though so now I have two I want to try!

Sarah said...

This is interesting. Yours looks yummy & not quite as "soggy bread" as I had pictured...I don't do stuffings or bread puddings very well, so the idea of this dish worries me a little, but your pictures have assuaged my fears a little. I'm excited to try it!

zlamushka said...

Jalapeno bread? now thats an idea... Love that. totally bookmarked (looking back in my bookmark box, I should simply bookmark your hole blog, that would be easier ;-)

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday and it turned out really lovely (but very light and fluffy :-))
I didn't realise that I used cornflour instead of cornmeal OOPS!! but non the less it was a hit with the family and they ate it all. I will try it again with cornmeal. The jalapeno's really gave it a nice "bite"

The Apron Queen said...

This would be awesome with chili, one of my family's favorites! Thanks!

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Anonymous said...

mmm..I like it alot! Yours looks really good.
It is also great with....ahem...CHIPOTLE

Sara said...

Oh this looks really great! I love cornbread and I'll have to try this. Thanks for taking part in WCC this month.