Mushrooms Paprika (Houby Paprikas)


I recently borrowed a new cookbook called World Vegetarian Classics from the library, and after flipping through the extensive collection of over 250 authentic vegetarian dishes I immediately decided to purchase the book without having yet tried any of the recipes. They look just that good! I simply could not resist the beautiful photographs contained within and the insightful descriptions of each region's culinary traditions, complete with a focus on the potentially more obscure and unfamiliar ingredients commonly used. A host shopping around for coffee tables books should take note, especially if they are planning on serving dinner to their guests.

Each recipe presented contains readily obtainable ingredients as the author has taken care to adapt her selections for the modern kitchen. The instructions are straightforward and sure to provide novice cooks with the means to produce first class meals. More experienced chefs will be inspired to add their own special and favored touches to classic international signature dishes.


Characteristically, the first recipe I decided to make shortly after my copy of Celia Brooks Brown's book arrived was focused on mushrooms. Hungarian in origin, this easy and quick-to-prepare dose of hot and tangy paprika and sour cream mushroom bliss would be perfect served over pasta or any cooked grain. I complemented the earthy mushrooms in this dish with the nutty flavor of brown rice — yum!


Mushrooms Paprika (Houby Paprikas)Mushrooms Paprika (Houby Paprikas)
Recipe by
Adapted from World Vegetarian Classics: Over 200 Essential International Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
Cuisine: Hungarian
Published on March 22, 2008

Quick and easy Hungarian-style mushrooms cooked with paprika and simmered in tangy sour cream

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 lb (450 g) mixed fresh mushrooms (cremini and white), roughly chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons hot paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 cup sour cream*
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
 
  • *Note: avoid light or fat-free sour cream as it will curdle easily

Instructions:
  • Melt the butter in a large wok or saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until soft and translucent.

  • Increase the heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the mushrooms begin to brown in their own juices. Add the paprika and cayenne, stir and cook for a few minutes longer, then stir in the sour cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.

  • Serve immediately over hot fresh cooked brown rice or egg noodles.

Makes 4 servings

For another Hungarian mushroom inspired creation, see:
Hungarian Mushroom Soup.

9 comments:

Peter M said...

Oooh, I'm gonna have to try paprika with mushrooms!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Gorgeous Lisa! I have this book too, there are some lovely dishes in in. I have only made a few so far. I have too many cookbooks and keep get distracted by recipes on blogs! I have to get back to those books!

The No Croutons Required March roundup and voting poll have been posted now, Lisa.

indosungod said...

Mushrooms cooked this way are my favorite. Looks great. Have to be reminded of brown rice every now then, Brown rice with the mushroom makes a great combo.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We have both blogged about Hungarian dishes today Lisa!!

Neen said...

Looks beautiful and surprisingly simple. Kind of like a vegetarian take on Stroganoff! Did the recipe really bring out the mushroom-y flavor? I'm hunting around for one that does...

Lisa Turner said...

Neen;

A very mushroom-y flavoured dish this is! I would also highly recommend the Hungarian mushroom soup.

Holler;

Beautiful roundup of spicy soups. I will post about this shortly.

I know what you mean about food blogs. But then, one can never have enough food ideas :)

test it comm said...

What a tasty sounding mushroom dish! Bookmarked

Laurie Constantino said...

Lisa, that book sounds terrific - I can see why you bought it immediately. And now I want it. Sigh. Like I really need encouragement to buy another cookbook...As for the mushrooms, one of my favorite foods of all times, these look wonderful. The picture made me laugh though - it is very similar to one I posted today!

Lisa Turner said...

Laurie, I most certainly did not need another cookbook either, but I just couldn't help it. Some wonderful recipes to look forward to though. Nothing like new ideas for mushrooms besides :)