Staple Corner: Yamuna Devi's Fresh Coriander Chutney


Visit the Indian Food Glossary for information on the ingredients in this recipe
Yamuna Devi's Fresh Coriander Chutney

As my regular readers already know, Yamuna Devi's Lord Krishna's Cuisine is probably my favorite source of authentic and close-to-authentic Indian vegetarian recipes — the flavors in each of her dishes are always perfectly balanced and exquisitely rendered on the palate. Her chutneys are no exception, and this fresh coriander or cilantro chutney — "dhaniya chatni" — has long been one of my favorite dipping sauces for any kind of fried or baked Indian savory like bhajis, samosas and koftas … or the egg pakoras that I made for breakfast a while back. Fresh parsley can be substituted for the cilantro if desired.


Yamuna Devi's Fresh Coriander ChutneyYamuna Devi's Fresh Coriander Chutney
Recipe by
Adapted from Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
Cuisine: Indian
Published on February 29, 2008

Simple, fresh and delicious coriander chutney seasoned with toasted seeds and coconut

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup dried shredded coconut
  • 1 slightly packed cup fresh cilantro, trimmed
  • 3 fresh green chillies, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon coconut or brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons water
Instructions:
  • Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. When warm, toss in the cumin seeds, sesame seeds and coconut and dry-roast, stirring frequently, until the coconut darkens to a light golden brown.

  • Add the coconut and seed mixture to a blender or food processor along with all the other ingredients and blend until smooth and thick. If a thinner chutney is desired for dipping, add a little more water.

  • Transfer to a bowl for serving. To keep, cover well and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Makes 1 1/2 cups

10 comments:

Peter M said...

Chutney/pesto...looks fab Lisa.

I have a request...I'd love to learn more about these individuals from where you get the food inspiration...are they Julia Child's of Indian cuisine?

Lisa Turner said...

I must admit I really only know about the ladies I get my inspiration from through their books. If you are interested in learning more about them, I highly recommend you purchase some of the books I highlight here from time to time. Ms. Devi's book is highly recommended in particular and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I can tell you that Yamuna Devi has traveled India for decades, learning from master's of Indian Cuisine, including royal families and temple cooks. She is a lecturer, in addition to being a cookbook author.

One of my other favorite authors, Madhur Jaffrey, has also written many cookbooks and is an award winning actress. You can read more about her here.

Peter M said...

Thanks Lisa, that kind of info is very informative for me. I've heard of M. Jaffrey but you must appreciate that Indian chefs aren't pasted all over the Food Network, etc...yet!

test it comm said...

This coriander chutney sounds really tasty!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I enjoy visiting your blog Lisa. I always look for recipes and ideas that will demistify East Indian cooking for me. As you said you recommend both of these books:D

zorra said...

Sounds delicious. So I know what to do with my fresh coriander from the garden.

Thank you for participating in WHB. Roundup should be online next Monday.

Nina Timm said...

When I saw the picture, I thought it was pesto, but when I read the ingredients, I saw that it was completely different.


I will definitely try this - I love coconut and chillies.

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds wonderful. I've had this many times in Indian restaurants, and I love it. Love having a recipe for it.

Susan said...

That's a gorgeous crush of mouthwatering green!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Yamuna Devi passed away suddenly about a year ago. It's nice to see her legacy being shared with so many.