Lemon-Raspberry Muffins

Raspberry Lemon Muffins

I'm a big fan of quick breads, both sweet and savory. When I have to choose, my preference will usually be the savory variety, but thankfully, I can have both. These simple muffins from Nigella Lawson's delightful How to Be a Domestic Goddess are just the kind of muffin for a savory girl like me — not-too-sweet and loaded with the luscious flavors of lemons and raspberries. We're in the dead of winter here and raspberries are not in season, but I was able to get some fresh ones from a local market. If I can't have spring, I can at least imagine it.


Lemon-Raspberry MuffinsLemon-Raspberry Muffins
Recipe by
From How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
Published on February 4, 2008

Simple and irresistible moist lemony muffins loaded with fresh tart raspberries

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 2/3 cups unbleached white flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • juice and finely grated zest from 1 lemon
  • approximately 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 5 oz (150 g) fresh raspberries
Instructions:
  • Grease 12 standard muffin cups and preheat an oven to 375°.

  • Melt the butter in a small saucepan and let cool for a minute or so. In a medium-large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

  • Pour the lemon juice into a large measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup. Beat the egg and butter into the juice and milk mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the raspberries.

  • Fill the prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 12 muffins
Raspberry Lemon Muffins

9 comments:

Peter M said...

Lisa, I love muffins because they are great in the morn' with coffee and they are idiot proof (good for me).

I make something like this with raspberry jam in the middle, kinda like a Tim Horton's muffin.

ServesYouRight said...

Hello Lisa!

Greetings from across the lake! Lemon Raspberry - oy! Yum!

Smita

Dori said...

These do look irresistible! Lemon and raspberry sound so good together :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Love the muffins, a good combination of flavours! i have this book, but haven't made these! I would go for a sweet muffin first, every time!

Kalai said...

Sounds great, Lisa! I'd probably have to use raspberry jam instead like peter said.

test it comm said...

Lemon and raspberry sound like they would go well in a morning muffin, They look nice an moist and good.

Johanna GGG said...

now that is a recipe I would love to try - raspberries are so evocative of summer!

Shella said...

Lisa, I love Nigella's this particular book. But never thought of trying this recipe out. Though I dont think Raspberries would be avlbl in India, I should think about substituting some strawberries maybe....you muffins look gorgeous...

Unknown said...

Lisa..
Ur muffins look easy to prepare..will try them for sure..