Jalapeño Breakfast Burritos

Jalapeño Breakfast Burritos

If you're like me and can use an extra starting jolt in the morning along with your coffee, these Mexican-style breakfast burritos are not only easy and filling but pack a healthy punch from plenty of fresh jalapeño peppers.

Once upon a time, breakfast for me typically consisted of a bowl of Kellogg's cereal, probably properly considered about as nourishing as eating the box it comes in. Then, I stopped eating breakfast altogether, with the exception of weekends, when pancakes or bacon and eggs were on the menu. The next stage was organic boxed cereals, costing twice as much as a box of Special K or Mini-Wheats, admittedly tastier at times, but not much of an improvement considering the high temperatures these types of foods are baked at.

I've since realized that the palate and body is most happy when you start your day off right with quality whole foods you can manipulate to your liking.

Jalapeño Breakfast BurritosJalapeño Breakfast Burritos
Recipe by
Cuisine: Mexican
Published on February 14, 2008

Easy egg breakfast burritos with a zesty jalapeño and cilantro kick

\Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 7- or 8-inch soft corn or flour tortillas
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 jalapeños, seeded and cut into narrow strips
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • sour cream and chili powder for garnish
Instructions:
  • Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in a 150° oven.

  • Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Toss in the onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the strips of 2 of the jalapeños, and fry for another 3 minutes.

  • Beat the eggs together with the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and cilantro, and pour into the pan. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the eggs are almost set. Drizzle the lime juice over the eggs and continue to stir until the eggs are set to your liking.

  • Spoon half of the egg mixture into the center of each tortilla and top with the diced tomato. Wrap the tortilla into a burrito and top with plenty of sour cream and chili powder.

Makes 2 servings

Jalapeño Breakfast Burritos

14 comments:

Suganya said...

Jalapeño omelet is one of my fav flavors. Scramble seems easier. Thanks for this delightful entry, Lisa.

Peter M said...

Who needs coffee when this burrito is around to jump start your day?

Lisa, you'll be a good source of food ideas when I fast for Lent.

Lisa Turner said...

Suganya;

Always happy to meet a fellow jalapeno lover.

Peter;

Glad to be of assistance. Enjoy!

Dori said...

Awesome! This looks so good! I would love that anytime for breakfast :)

Kalai said...

I adore breakfast burritos! You can invite me over for breakfast anytime, Lisa! *laugh* Nice quick, easy, and tasty dish. :)

Anonymous said...

We LOVE jalapenos in our house--and since I've been trying to move away from so much sweet stuff for breakfast, this looks perfect (and I'm sure would work as well with a tofu scramble, too!).

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

wow, this is some start to the day Lisa! I am completely rubbish in the morning, so I am very impressed. Usually Graham is kind and toasts me a bagel or if I am in the mood, he will pour me some muesli. I think I would have this on a Sunday morning!

Johanna GGG said...

breakfast does seem such a challenge for so many bloggers who cook such wonderful dinners - but I think this looks great - I find burritos a weird breakfast choice and yet this looks so right - if only I liked eggs I would probably try this but maybe I should try other versions of breakfast burritos

test it comm said...

These breakfast burritos sound good. I like a nice spicy breakfast. This week I have been having a spicy Korean kimchi soup with jalapeño peppers.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a good start to the day this would be. Who says breakfast food has to be boring :D I am not opposed to pizza for breakfast either :D

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

PS Love the list of all the foods to try on the right :D What a line-up!!!! Excellent choices!!

Lisa Turner said...

Val;

Regarding my list of foods to try on the right sidebar here, you should see my inbox! I won't even mention my extensive cookbook collection, nor my fat binders of recipe clippings!

Thistlemoon said...

This looks DELICIOUS! Nice presentation too,Lisa.

Unknown said...

Thank you for breakfast!