Best-Ever Rum Balls

Best-Ever Rum Balls

I made these rum balls a few years back for a Christmas treat and have made them every Christmas since. They are somewhat like truffles, only stronger in taste because of the rum. Yum! I suggest you use a nice dark Jamaican rum for this recipe. If you want to include crushed nuts, substitute 1 cup of the wafers for 1 cup of nuts, such as hazelnuts. And use 4 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips to equal 1/2 cup of chocolate.


Best-Ever Rum BallsBest-Ever Rum Balls
Recipe by
Published on December 21, 2007

Dark, rich and sweet with a truffle-like consistency and the wonderful aroma of a good dark rum — these are the best-ever rum balls for a holiday treat

Preparation: 20 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (3 oz or 85 g) dark chocolate
  • 1/2 cup (3 oz or 85 g) milk chocolate
  • 1/2 cup icing or powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons corn syrup or agave syrup
  • 3 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup dark rum
  • icing sugar, rice flour or cocoa for coating
Instructions:
  • In a small heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate on low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar and corn syrup. Beat in the vanilla wafers (and nuts if you are using them). Next stir in the salt, vanilla and rum until well combined. Refrigerate the mixture until firm.

  • Roll the mixture into small 1-inch balls. Roll in the coatings of your choice (I like cocoa and rice flour).

Makes about 3 dozen rum balls

Best-Ever Rum Balls

13 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Lisa,
It's easy to see why you've been making these for years. They're simple to make, pretty to look at, and so deliciously versatile. I just love them! Thanks for submitting them. Cheers,Susan

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Yum indeed, these look good and I do like rum truffles. You can buy them in bakers hear. They are huge and covered with chocolate strands, but these look much more sophisticated and real rum too, not rum flavouring, brill!

Anonymous said...

Yum Rum Balls. Delicious. It is Xmas Eve here, and time for me to wish all of my blog friends a wonderful time with family and friends tomorrow. May it be a peaceful and blessed day where we can give a lot of joy to those around us. Have a great day.

AJ said...

Ohhhh, These look so delicious. Can't wait to just pop one in my mouth. P.S. Lovely blog.

Apu

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hey Lisa! Just wanted you to know I included your delicious cookie in my latest article at Foodie View. Happy Holidays!

Mikey "One-Arm" said...

I love rum balls! They are so easy to make and popping them down with a nice glass of milk while sitting by the fire makes for a perfect night!

Nancy said...

Can someone explain the difference between "icing sugar" and "powdered sugar"? I thought they were the same thing, but they're each listed here.
Thanks!!

Lisa Turner said...

Nancy, sorry for the confusion. As far as I know, they are the same thing, though different terminology is used depending on where one resides on the globe. At any rate, I have corrected my post so as not to confuse.

Laura @MotherWouldKnow said...

I can't wait to try these rum balls. I've been a fan of rum balls for years, but haven't made them myself. Thanks for stopping by our Happy Holidays Link Party - be sure to join us again this week (beginning on Saturday at 7 pm ET) and every week through the holidays.

hilariusaquarius said...

Our rural grocery store doesn't stock nilla wafers...gonna try crushed arrowroot cookies..with a dash of vanilla extract as a substitute...hope it works.

Lisa Turner said...

Let me know how they work out for you. If you want to include crushed nuts, substitute 1 cup of the wafers for 1 cup of nuts, such as hazelnuts.

Jessica said...

Can these be frozen? Thanks!

Lisa Turner said...

I've never tried freezing these, but I don't see why you couldn't. If you were to, I would let them sit out for a while on the counter before serving to soften up and then put any coating on at the point.