Spicy Popcorn

Spicy Popcorn

The spicier the better, and that includes popcorn. Rarely do I purchase prepackaged treats, relying instead on my culinary inspired imagination and efforts. Recently, I came up with my best spice mixture to date for old fashioned stovetop popped popcorn. Popcorn goes gourmet in Lisa's Kitchen.


Spicy PopcornSpicy Popcorn
Recipe by
Published on August 31, 2007

Buttery spiced popcorn with Parmesan cheese

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Popcorn:
  • 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
  • 1/8 cup peanut or high smoking-point oil
  • 1/8 cup butter
Seasoning:
  • 1/4 cup dry grated or powdered Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon amchoor powder (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • pinch of mustard powder
Instructions:
  • In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add a few kernels of popcorn to the pot. When the kernels pop, add the remaining popcorn. Cover and shake the pot up and down every 15 to 30 seconds to distribute the oil and prevent the popped kernels from burning.

  • To make the seasoning, combine the cheese, salt and spices in a small bowl. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and lightly toss with the spice mixture.

Makes 4 snack servings

3 comments:

zlamushka said...

This is great. I love spicy popcorn and I love making it on my own from corn kernels. I am so happy that there is another old-fashioned popcorn maker out there :)

thanx a lot

Chef Jules said...

Hey, Lisa -- I love your blog and always enjoy seeing what you're up to. Like yourself, I rarely purchase packaged treats either. Popcorn is one of my faves and this sounds like the ultimate in spicy and delicious. Thank you.

FH said...

Great blog, just discovered!:))
Love the chickpea soup.
Spicy popcorn would be yummy to munch on watching a movie.Looks good,thanks.