Cauliflower & Olive Salad

Cauliflower & Olive Salad

The middle of summer represents such a cornucopia of fresh vegetables and fruits coming from the farms of southwestern Ontario that I have to restrain myself from buying everything I see at the local market. I always find at this time of year that I can't keep up with all the possibilities these wonderfully fresh flavors present, but this week I found myself particularly attracted to some large, beautiful and perfectly unblemished heads of local cauliflower. Since I haven't used cauliflower for some time now, I decided to dress it up in this simple and colorful cauliflower & olive salad that's one of my summer favorites. Considering it's sweltering hot here in London, this no cook salad was a perfect compliment to a light summer meal.

I like to use colossal Kalamata olives when olives are called for, but you can also use green or black olives in this salad according to your preference. But I should add that if you love olives as much as I do, avoid ordinary canned or jarred olives and do yourself a favor by visiting local Greek food shops where the best olives are usually found, not to mention Greek sheep milk Feta cheese, and at very affordable prices. For those of you who live in or near London, I've never had any better olives or Feta than at the Perfect Bakery on Hamilton Road.

Cauliflower & Olive SaladCauliflower & Olive Salad
Recipe by
Published on July 31, 2007

Simple and vibrant flavorful summer salad with cauliflower and Kalamata olives

Preparation: 25 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Salad:
  • 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into 1/4-inc slices
  • 1 cup Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup pimento pepper, chopped
Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • fresh ground black pepper
Instructions:
  • Combine the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. In small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Makes 4 servings

1 comment:

kathryn said...

What a lovely, quick recipe. I make a similar salad in winter, but I roast the cauliflower in the oven. I then toss the hot cauli with lentils, olives and rocket, before finishing off with a quick dressing. It's a much more hearty dish than your beautiful summer-style salad.

I love these strong flavours with cauliflower.

Kathryn
www.kathrynelliott.com.au/blog