Creamy Coleslaw

Creamy Coleslaw

Creamy cabbage coleslaw is something that everybody likes, and it's a feature at so many get-togethers. It only takes about 20 minutes to throw together this classic summer and fall salad. Like almost everything I make, I like to add at least just a bit of a spicy kick to dress things up, in this case with a dash of cumin and chili, but feel free to leave these out if you prefer the traditional flavor. Red or green cabbage work equally well, but red cabbage will give your slaw a colorful visual appeal in addition to the flavor.

Creamy ColeslawCreamy Coleslaw
Recipe by
Published on June 21, 2007

Classic creamy coleslaw with a tangy dressing and a bit of a kick

Preparation: 30 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Salad:
  • 1 small head of cabbage, chopped (4 cups)
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • pinch of ground cumin (optional)
  • pinch of chili powder (optional)
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Add the cabbage, carrot, celery, onion, green onion and parsley to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, then pour over the vegetables and toss until everything is evenly coated.

  • Transfer to a salad bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend the flavors.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
Creamy Coleslaw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your coleslaw looks beautiful and you've started me thinking. I've got a small sugar-loaf cabbage in the fridge, which would be perfect for coleslaw - a great side to my white bean falafel lunch! Thanks for the idea.

And I like your addition of cumin and chilli powder.

Lis said...

Wow - I think that's the prettiest cole slaw I've ever seen. =)

I love the ingredients and will definitely be trying this as my husband is a cole slaw addict! hehe

Thanks so much for the submission!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

My family tends not to be huge coleslaw fans, but add a little cumin and chili and all that changed. You have me buying cabbage now. :)