Nigerian Baked Beans

Nigerian Baked Beans

I have made these baked beans with peanut butter and Nigerian style seasonings more times than almost any other recipe I've ever made, and certainly more times than I can count. It's not just that these baked beans are so easy to make and make for such a hearty and filling meal, although these are very much pluses in my kitchen and likely yours too. But the reason that I make them so often is because I have frequent cravings for the creamy combination of peanut butter and spices that make these baked beans such a flavorful experience. I do enjoy the more traditional molasses baked beans too — minus the pork and lard of course — but peanut butter and hot spices are just too much for me to resist, especially when they blend so easily with white beans.


Nigerian Baked BeansNigerian Baked Beans
Recipe by
Cuisine: African
Published on March 19, 2007

One of my all-time favorite bean dishes — easy baked beans with peanut butter and a delicious Nigerian-style seasoning

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup dried navy beans
  • 1/2 cup dried cannellini (white kidney) beans
  • 1/4 cup olive or sesame oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
  • 2 to 3 fresh green chilies or jalapeƱos, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
  • plenty of fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  • Rinse the beans and soak the beans overnight in several inches of cold water with a little yogurt whey or lemon juice added. Drain and rinse, then transfer to a large saucepan and cover with 3 1/2 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 to 60 minutes or until the beans are just tender.

  • Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir for 2 minutes or until the onion has just wilted. Add the garlic and chilies and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the spices and stir once or twice to coat the onions, then stir in the tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened.

  • Preheat an oven to 325°F.

  • Put the peanut butter in a small bowl. When the beans are finished cooking, slowly add a few scoops of the cooking liquid to the peanut butter, stirring as you go. Empty the beans with their remaining cooking liquid into a good size casserole dish. Stir in the tomato mixture and peanut butter mixture, salt and black pepper.

  • Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the beans are very tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Makes 4 to 8 servings

5 comments:

Chimera said...

Mmmmm...lookin' good!

Question for you, though: Is it possible that you can give the approximate volume for the cooked beans as well as the dry volume? I don't use dry legumes. I only use them canned, drained, and extremely well-rinsed. Otherwise I can't function for three days after I eat these dishes. Not only does the canned product save my digestive system, it also saves a whole heap o' time.

Lisa Turner said...

Yes, I plan to include a measurement conversion list, but this blog is new, so all in good time.

In the meantime, here is a rough conversion guideline:

* 1 lb dry beans = 2 1/2 cups dry beans = about 7 1/2 cups cooked beans

* 1 cup dry beans = about 3 cups cooked beans

* 14 oz/398 ml can beans = about 1 1/2 cups drained beans

*19 oz/540 ml can beans = about 2 cups drained beans

I will add that digestive problems caused by dried beans can be solved if you soak the beans overnight with a bit of whey or yogurt. I also don't find using dried beans really adds onto the cooking time, as I prepare the other ingredients while the beans are cooking.

Thanks for checking out my blog and I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Chim - interesting - my experience is the opposite!

Rehydrated beans, well rinsed seem easier on my digestive system than the canned ones.

I do discard the water that I soaked them in, and then rinse well.

Chimera said...

Lisa, thanks much for the conversion table!

Ian: Time and space are important factors for the Cavern's collective kitchen -- we-all just don't have the room to do it all from scratch and allow everyone to do his own pet cooking project, so we tend to use shortcuts a lot.

The other reason we don't use dried legumes is that we got an old batch of them once. I'm talkin' that these things were petrified! Soaked 'em for four days...even went so far as to start cooking them to hurry the leaching process...no dice. We ended up throwing out the whole batch, because it was about as edible as gravel.

And thanks for the link!

Jyoti said...

Wow its looks so yummy......!!